Transmission problems ??

Hoovey

Standard Bore
I'm getting the fever for a Rocket III and I've been trying to read up as much as I can. I read in a couple places of some bikes having transmission issues. Is this a cronic problem I should be concerned about when I'm looking at used bikes??

Thanks,

More than anything you should make sure the clutch isn't abused and slipping. R3 Transmissions are noisy and "clunk" when shifting, but they should shift crisp and stay in gear.

I guess the question is are you buying new or used? If used...get a test ride to make sure to your satisfaction that this is the kind of bike you need/want.

If you are buying new, till you go in for the first service (at 500 miles...next service due at 10K other than tire changes) the shifting into first will be kind of clunky. Once they drain out the semi-synthetic oil and replace it with full synthetic (as required at the first service) the shifting will be a lot easier.

The transmission issues you may have read about mainly have happened in the past and have for the most part been resolved. A few of the members of this particular forum had that happen to them (some were even out of warranty by a little and a lot) and Triumph in most cases stepped up to the plate and took care of the problem and and even added better "parts" during the repair so that an almost new transmission was the result. The reason I mention this is that legally Triumph did not have to do this but in a pretty good PR move chose to fix the problem instead of letting it fester.

Good luck on your choice.

Dennis

18 dtg KAF
24 dtg Dubai
25 dtg Home
46 dtg London

Hello Hoovey,
As you can see by reading the old and new threads, there has been some pretty sad problems with the Rockets engines. It is my opinion to stay away from '04 / '05 bikes. Some say late '06 to '08 "should" have better odds of getting a trouble free bike. So far I haven't had any trouble with mine. I bought a new '06 standard built in spring '06 with a black engine. Some think the black engines are better. I really don't know. I bought a 6 year extended warranty with mine just to have peace of mind.

Hello Hoovey,
As you can see by reading the old and new threads, there has been some pretty sad problems with the Rockets engines. It is my opinion to stay away from '04 / '05 bikes. Some say late '06 to '08 "should" have better odds of getting a trouble free bike. So far I haven't had any trouble with mine. I bought a new '06 standard built in spring '06 with a black engine. Some think the black engines are better. I really don't know. I bought a 6 year extended warranty with mine just to have peace of mind.

Thanks for the input !! Please keep it coming :):)

Hello Hoovey,
Pretty sad problems? where? I must have missed those threads. The only common "problem" I've heard is the rattle, and those have a fix. I've yet to hear about any coming apart like some other makes I know. I'd have to say that R3's have a a very good track record.

Hello Hoovey,
It is my opinion to stay away from '04 / '05 bikes. Some say late '06 to '08 "should" have better odds of getting a trouble free bike.

70k miles on my 05 with no signficant problems. No upgrades either except the idle fix tune. Had to replace the oil tank O ring seals at 65k. That said, it makes sense to get the latest model, with the lowest miles, one can afford, but if you can only afford an 04/05, there is no good reason not to buy it provided everything else checks out ok. I really think these beasts are going to last a looooooooong time.

Don't listen to Dave (scot in exile)
He's just still peeved he got snookered into buying an inferior Red one.
Any rocket you get is fine.
We joke around about which is faster,
which ones were built with inferior parts, etc,
but truth be told,
you can't go wrong with any of them.
Triumph is an outstanding company and have stepped up long out of warrenty on lots of bikes and lots of issues.
My wife has a Red '05 and loves it,
she loves blowing harleys away on the open road.
Me, I baby mine.:D

Back