peabody87

Standard Bore
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket
I just bought a 2005 Rocket with 8000 miles on it and I seemed to notice some difficulty shifting into 5th gear the other day while under moderate acceleration. Later I had a similar issue with 3rd. It acted like there was no 5th to shift into. It seems if you accelerate slower it is fine. My gut tells me it feels like the dogs on the gears have some taper to them. I am just a little gun shy based on the huge list of issues I read on the site before I bought the bike. I plan on changing the oil in it this weekend first. I am not afraid to take it apart if needed. Any thoughts from the masters out there?

I just bought a 2005 Rocket with 8000 miles on it and I seemed to notice some difficulty shifting into 5th gear the other day while under moderate acceleration. Later I had a similar issue with 3rd. It acted like there was no 5th to shift into. It seems if you accelerate slower it is fine. My gut tells me it feels like the dogs on the gears have some taper to them. I am just a little gun shy based on the huge list of issues I read on the site before I bought the bike. I plan on changing the oil in it this weekend first. I am not afraid to take it apart if needed. Any thoughts from the masters out there?

I'm no master but I would change the oil and put Mobile 1 4T 10w 40 motorcycle oil in it. Makes a night and day difference in the way mine shifts.

Also check to make sure the clutch cable is adjusted exactly like the book says. Do you have a manual ?
I downloaded the repair manual for it before I even bought the bike. I already bought the recommended Mobil 1 oil for it. I plan on changing it over the weekend. According to the Triumph dealer I bought it from the bike was on consignment and past due for its change based on time not distance. This is a beautiful bike and I plan on hanging on to it. I have only had it a couple weeks and have already had more compliments from strangers than all of my other bikes combined.

I downloaded the repair manual for it before I even bought the bike. I already bought the recommended Mobil 1 oil for it. I plan on changing it over the weekend. According to the Triumph dealer I bought it from the bike was on consignment and past due for its change based on time not distance. This is a beautiful bike and I plan on hanging on to it. I have only had it a couple weeks and have already had more compliments from strangers than all of my other bikes combined.

I think I'm up to 156 "hey ! is that a Triumph ? I used to have a 650 Bonneville" :)

Back