tranny problems? maybe?

Jarrod83

.040 Over
Ride
2006 R3 classic
So, I have done a few searches and I couldn't find any problem similar to mine. So under heavy throttle in first and sometimes second gear there will be a noticeable gap or slack in, what I think is, the transmission. It's almost as though it disengaged and re-engages a split second latter. it does not happen all the time as I've tried to replicate it and could not. What is concerning about it is it make a rather nasty clunk sound when re-engagement occurs, but so far it seems no ill effects. Any thoughts or ideas?

I have no idea. It is an 06 and I bought it with 14k on it. I'm guessing probably not.

One of the signs that the update kit is needed is that it jumps out of 2nd gear at WOT. However, it usually doesn't jump back in again. If you keep pressure on the gear change lever, does it stay in gear?

Also, another thing to check is the clutch free-play. It has to be EXACTLY as per the manual or you will have problems. Too little free-play and you will wear out clutch parts, too much and you will have trouble selecting gears.

It does not actually jump out of gear. It happens mostly in 1st gear and once in awhile in 2nd. It actually kinda hard to describe. It's more like it's in gear but some part of the transmission needs to "catch up" before it will go and it won't be at the take off it will be more likely caused by crossing a high load threshold. Once it happens during a ride it usually won't do it again.

Try cruising along at 50-60mph in 5th gear, then with one swift, as fast as you can, movement, rip it all the way to WOT. If the engine speeds up before the bike does then your clutch is slipping. If that is the case then, with a little bit of luck, it may only be a clutch free-play adjustment.

When mine was jumping out of second it always jumped back in (I'd really describe it more as slipping out and back in). It was like the torque caused it to slip out of the dog ear and back to the next one. A hard clunk and back in. When it first started, it wouldn't recur much. As time went on, it was easier to induce (wore the dog ear tips more and more I imagine). I didn't ever have it in any gear other than second though, and it never stayed out, requiring clutch or shifting.

Actually that about perfectly describes it. Maybe it was in second and not first. So do I need an update? Can I even still get one?

Yep, sounds exactly like you're the next contestant on "the update kit is right" show. :(

I'm guessing you're somewhere between 10-20k miles? Run your searches on here for update kit or second gear and you'll find lots of info. Unfortunately, the kits just went from $200 to $1000. I'd be contacting triumph and see if they can work something for you. You can do the labor yourself, if not, it'll be around $2000 labor.

Back