Touring vs Classic - - Initial Impressions

Txclassic

.040 Over
Dealer loaned me an '08 Touring while my '06 Classic remains in the shop for more repairs (long story).

Initial impressions:
1. Touring almost has as much pull in 1, 2, 3 as my Classic. At highway speeds in 5th gear, the Classic has more grunt.

2. Throatier exhaust note on the Touring. I like it. Side-by-side pipes are more to my liking than the 1 and 2 arrangement on the Classic.

3. Short windshield on the Touring is not enough. There is more buffeting on the Touring than on my Classic with the roadster windshield and deflectors.

4. With some rearranging, I can still fit all my stuff in the Touring saddlebags, but they are not nearly as cool looking as my Corbin BeetleBags.

5. Heel-toe shifter on the Touring takes some getting used to. With some adjustment, it could be just as friendly as the Classic. One positive on the Touring is independent adjustment of toe and heel. I can use just the toe for up/downshifts if I want. Nice touch.

6. Touring is more refined. Wire routing around the triple tree and the chrome covers on the windshield are much better than the Classic. Chrome exhaust covers are also nice.

7. Quick detach windshield is a plus on the Touring. You give up height and angle adjustment though.

8. MUCH less countersteer is required to hold the Touring in the curves. I guess the fatter tire on the Classic is part of the problem.

9. I prefer the dual headlights on my Classic, but the single Touring headlight appears to have fairly good coverage on the wall of my garage. Will have to wait until a night ride to be sure. The factory installed fog light switch is nice when you want to add that option.

10. Clutch and brake levers are fatter and not adjustable on the Touring. This is a step back in my opinion.

11. Speedometer on the gas tank and no tachometer are big negatives for me on the Touring. When riding in heavy traffic or around loud bikes, I really do depend on the tachometer to find my shift points. The "miles to empty" thing is pretty handy though. On the Touring, I actually have to tilt my head down to see the speed. On the Classic, you don't have to move your head. Just look down a bit and then eyes back on the road.

12. Seat is more comfy on the Touring. Negative is that it requires removing 3 bolts to lift the seat.

13. Touring comes with 2 spare locksets for locking the windshield and a sissy bar. These are keyed the same as the ignition. Nice touch.

14. Rear passenger floorboards on the Touring are very nice.

15. I like the Classic rims better than the Touring. Personal choice.

Overall, I would say that anyone debating the Classic versus Touring should really test drive both. Each has its own pros and cons that go beyond just looks.

As for me, I still like my Classic more than the Touring.

Hope this helps anyone considering the two models.

Excellent comparison.

Having ridden the Classic only 10-15 miles on a test ride before buying my R3T, I agree with most of your comments.

The windshield issue is very dependent on your height. At 6'2" I didn't have a buffeting problem as my head is in mostly clean air. I bought the taller screen (+6 inches) and can just barely see over the top. If I were an inch shorter I'd be looking through the screen, not something I'd prefer. For me, a +4 inch option would be ideal. As it is, I swap the screens depending on the weather.

I initially thought the Classic pulled a bit harder but after adding D&D pipes, Tuneboy and just this weekend, triple K&N's my R3T is much stronger.

I agree the R3T handles well, but today I discovered a leaking rear shock. So, now its either a new one under warranty or explore the aftermarket for better options.

I also dislike the tank mounted speedo. My solution is to use my GPS for speed readings. And yup, no motorcycle should come without a Tach. It should at least be an option.

Dealer loaned me an '08 Touring while my '06 Classic remains in the shop for more repairs (long story).

Initial impressions:
1. Touring almost has as much pull in 1, 2, 3 as my Classic. At highway speeds in 5th gear, the Classic has more grunt.

2. Throatier exhaust note on the Touring. I like it. Side-by-side pipes are more to my liking than the 1 and 2 arrangement on the Classic.

3. Short windshield on the Touring is not enough. There is more buffeting on the Touring than on my Classic with the roadster windshield and deflectors.

4. With some rearranging, I can still fit all my stuff in the Touring saddlebags, but they are not nearly as cool looking as my Corbin BeetleBags.

5. Heel-toe shifter on the Touring takes some getting used to. With some adjustment, it could be just as friendly as the Classic. One positive on the Touring is independent adjustment of toe and heel. I can use just the toe for up/downshifts if I want. Nice touch.

6. Touring is more refined. Wire routing around the triple tree and the chrome covers on the windshield are much better than the Classic. Chrome exhaust covers are also nice.

7. Quick detach windshield is a plus on the Touring. You give up height and angle adjustment though.

8. MUCH less countersteer is required to hold the Touring in the curves. I guess the fatter tire on the Classic is part of the problem.

9. I prefer the dual headlights on my Classic, but the single Touring headlight appears to have fairly good coverage on the wall of my garage. Will have to wait until a night ride to be sure. The factory installed fog light switch is nice when you want to add that option.

10. Clutch and brake levers are fatter and not adjustable on the Touring. This is a step back in my opinion.

11. Speedometer on the gas tank and no tachometer are big negatives for me on the Touring. When riding in heavy traffic or around loud bikes, I really do depend on the tachometer to find my shift points. The "miles to empty" thing is pretty handy though. On the Touring, I actually have to tilt my head down to see the speed. On the Classic, you don't have to move your head. Just look down a bit and then eyes back on the road.

12. Seat is more comfy on the Touring. Negative is that it requires removing 3 bolts to lift the seat.

13. Touring comes with 2 spare locksets for locking the windshield and a sissy bar. These are keyed the same as the ignition. Nice touch.

14. Rear passenger floorboards on the Touring are very nice.

15. I like the Classic rims better than the Touring. Personal choice.

Overall, I would say that anyone debating the Classic versus Touring should really test drive both. Each has its own pros and cons that go beyond just looks.

As for me, I still like my Classic more than the Touring.

Hope this helps anyone considering the two models.

1. Can't address, never ridden the S or C model Rockets

2. I like the pipes too. They're not loud, but have a nice throaty sound about them.

3. The windshield is boderline for me (I'm 5'10"). If I desire to use proper posture in lieu of a more relaxed position, then it's a little short. Otherwise, it's OK. I would prefer it to be 2 to 3 inches taller, but I doubt I'll change it. Again, at 5'10" it's not really that big of a deal for me.

4. I think for the touring model, the bags that are on it are more appropriate (styling wise). I also appreciate having top loaders in lieu of side loaders like some of the other manufacturers (Goldwings, Victory, etc...).

side note: The Victory Vision bags were a HUGE let down for me. They look massive, but are tiny.

5. I love heel/toe shifters. Also, another let down with the Victory Vision (no available).

6. Can't address, never paid attention to the differences. Another shortcoming for Victory bikes, however. Hey, I try to like them, honest!

7. This isn't a big deal (certainly not a deal breaker) for me as I RARELY take it off. It is convenient when cleaning the bike, however.

8. Can't address, never ridden the S or C model Rockets

9. No opinion regarding the headlights other than it's one less bulb to burn out on the touring. I also like the factory installed switch. I hooked it up to my pillion ejector for when the pillion gets too "chatty". ;)

10. I agree. I can't believe my Speedmaster had adjustable levers, but the brand "Flagship" does not. That's a head scratcher for sure, obviously wasn't a deal breaker, however. :)

11. I truly don't understand all the negativity surrounding this. Frankly, it takes ZERO effort to look at the display, scroll through the menu, etc... This is truly a non issue, IMO. I'm beginning to think this is mostly a gripe, due to the look being too close to a Harley, by the *He Man Harley Haters* crowd.

12. Again, can't speak to the difference, but I agree regarding the 3 bolt setup. This is another area where they should copy Harley (tongue and one thumbscrew setup). Actually, *I* would improve the HD design by incorporating Triumphs latch setup on the touring model's bags. Now, that would be SCHWEEET!

13. That's a nice touch. I used one of them on my sissy bar. The sissy bar comes with a lock so I went ahead and changed it. I have no intention of purchasing the optional lock for the windshield, however.

14 & 15. Personal choice. I prefer floorboards too, however.

Back