dawb

.060 Over
Ride
2015 R3T
2013 Touring, love the bike but Metzlers dont seem to do the job. Second set now wearing out, i found Avon Cobras Fitment works. Looking for maximum mileage...what are you running that you like?

I like the Cobras, I've only run them and the Metz. I don't want maximum mileage, or I'd run a car tire, I want a good compromise between grip and longevity. Cobras do it for me.

I am a complete convert to the Avon Cobras on my Touring. I will never forget the first time I switched over from the Metz 880's to the Cobras. I felt like Valentino Rossi! Immediately I picked up several degrees of highly stable and controllable lean angle. The ride was seriously improved; it felt like the tires had become an active partner of the suspension; harshness decreased and stability increased - and markedly so.

As for "skittishness" in the rain; I haven't noticed this. Down here in Fla. we've been known to have some pretty significant rain pop up and my Cobras have handled this rain with aplomb. Of course, I recognize the power differential between my Touring and a standard R3, so this might not translate over very well.

I have 6K on my current set and they're not showing much, if any, wear. Should be good for at least 10K.

I run 40/40 cold.

All things considered - I think the Cobras are the absolute BEST tires you can run on the Touring.

Thanks for recommendations and depth of information Ksquared...and yes Tripps, best of both.....im not going to the dark side anytime soon. Had not found any other options from tire manufacturers and will give Avon a go. Thanks again guys!

Mileage depends on a lot of variables. Road condition, temperature, speed and inflation. I got better mileage from Metz than I did Avons. That said I think Avons are the better tire. As for mileage, anything over 5000 miles is a bonus. I've had bikes that wouldn't get 3000 on a set of tires. I got around 8000 on the Avons around 10,000 on the Metzler. I'd try the new Bridgestones next.

Let me also mention my current obsession, finding the tires that are OE fitment on the new Thunderbird LT - V-rated Avon Cobras with wide whitewalls. Haven't had much luck, but there is at least one other guy here who has.

The Roadliner is a big heavy bike so thats not an issue

The Excedras that were original equipment on the first R3T's shredded from the torque rather than weight. Bridgestone, when asked, still say they have no tires appropriate for the R3T.

Back