Touring in hot weather

laraza

Turbocharged
Ride
09 R3 Classic
Mid August i'll be riding from the UK through France and down to Estepona (southern tip of Spain) and back with a Ducati Diavel riding mate.

I reckon we'll be spending some time in 104+ temperatures and wondered if any of you guys that regularly ride in these temps have any tips for the rider and the bike? Somebody has suggested filling tyres with nitrogen?

I know some will be thinking 'what's the fuss?' but remember I live in the UK! summer temps reach a heady 77 if we're very lucky, for a day or two so covering around 3000 miles over two weeks in high temps is very different for us.

Cheers chaps :cool:

Laraza,

I have lived and worked in the desert for 19 years.

I regularly ride in 100+ heat in the US. New Mexico, AZ and Texas are that way 4 months a year.

#1 Stay hydrated. I make sure I stop and am drinking at least 1 leiter of water every 100 miles or 90 minutes ( whatever comes first) Stop get off the bike, into the shade and water up.

You will NOT FEEL SWEATY in hot weather while riding but you are loosing a ton of water. Drink early and often. If you wait till you are thirsty you are already dehydrated.

#2. Dress appropriately. Resist the temptation to ride in just a t shirt. Exposed skin when the tempature is 98 or above will actually make you hotter. Get a mesh vented jacket like Instant recommended.

#3. I put a soft sided cooler on the back of the bike filled with two 1 gallon water containers. One is filled halfway and frozen solid then filled with water and the other just filed with cold water. That way you always have cold water and are not dependent on gas stations and rest areas.

#4 get a schemag and keep it wet and wrapped around your neck and chest. And travel early and late. Get an early start and ride from 0600 till 1200 then back on the bike at 1500 till dark.

#5 Finaly the bike. I have riden many bikes in the deserts of the USA and the Rocket does better than most. Just make sure you coolant is topped up and oil has been changed recently and you will be fine. Like Instant said stop and go is the worst.

Ride safe and enjoy the trip.

Jamie

Jamie nailed the hydration point well; do it!
For the bike, I added the BeadRider on to the seat and swear it is the best bit of long distant, hot riding Kit a biker can own. It keeps the bum dry which helps prevent monkey butt and it allows the rider to move about and get a little circulatory massage. I have done 10 to 12 hour rides here in temperature from 90 - 105 degrees F and wish I had bought one sooner.
Brahmas new badge.2.jpg

Jamie nailed the hydration point well; do it!
For the bike, I added the BeadRider on to the seat and swear it is the best bit of long distant, hot riding Kit a biker can own. It keeps the bum dry which helps prevent monkey butt and it allows the rider to move about and get a little circulatory massage. I have done 10 to 12 hour rides here in temperature from 90 - 105 degrees F and wish I had bought one sooner.
Brahmas new badge.2.jpg

YES! Bead Rider. I totally forgot about that. I got one this year and it is everything you say. Also use the schemag to cover the seat when you stop to stop it from getting super hot in the sun.

Laraza,

#2. Dress appropriately. Resist the temptation to ride in just a t shirt. Exposed skin when the tempature is 98 or above will actually make you hotter. Get a mesh vented jacket like Instant recommended.

Jamie

Amen to that, first time in 100+ heat, and really hung over, it was so hot I took my mesh jacket and pants off, tried riding in t shirt and shorts, holy cow, big mistake, within 15 minutes I had to pull over to the side of the road and put my gear back on. You never see an Arab or a Mexican with his shirt off in the heat, if you pay attention, they know better.

Mid August i'll be riding from the UK through France and down to Estepona (southern tip of Spain) and back with a Ducati Diavel riding mate.

I reckon we'll be spending some time in 104+ temperatures and wondered if any of you guys that regularly ride in these temps have any tips for the rider and the bike? Somebody has suggested filling tyres with nitrogen?

I know some will be thinking 'what's the fuss?' but remember I live in the UK! summer temps reach a heady 77 if we're very lucky, for a day or two so covering around 3000 miles over two weeks in high temps is very different for us.

Cheers chaps :cool:
Spain is my home turf these days. Drop me a PM and I'll send my address if you need a stopover or help. I'm nr Madrid.

Bike - just keep checking oil/water/fuel. And check air every morning before blasting (you'll be filling up anyway). Same holds for ANY long runs. DO NOT ASSUME.

Rider - FOR F*CKS SAKE KEEP HYDRATED. In Spain I'd recommend an isotonic drink called "Aquarius". It's made by Coca-Cola and is on sale pretty much everywhere. You need mineral salts as well as water. No fizzy stuff - no alcohol.

The Sun down here is BRUTAL for pale skinned Brits. It's brutal for locals born and raised in it so pale exposed skin will look like a cooked lobster fast. Mesh gear is OK in mid range heat. But if it gets up over about 35-36°C then all that "cooling" breeze does is heat your body core. You'll feel the wind is HOT. Any sweat will dry so fast it has almost no cooling effect and you will dehydrate and tire really fast. ime a Jacket with vents copes better than mesh. If the Air temps hit 40 then the radiation from the road is also tiring. From recent experience here - 1 beer and 100miles in 40°C - and you will feel un-comfy.

Best is leather across shoulders for solar isolation. All fabric Jackets get hot in direct sun ime. I don't care how expensive they are (Rukka or Halvarsson) - they get hot. I suggest you NOT use cotton t-shirts - they quickly get soaked - and if for any reason the weather turns you will feel chilled. Woven Silk or Polyester sports T-shirts. Undies - I do stick with cotton usually - but silk long johns for LONG runs (long is 2-3 tankfulls a day) - even in summer.

I would encourage leather jeans - perforated leather if you can find it.

Bring a waterproof. Mid August we can get some sudden heavy storms. Same applies to the Aquataine in Southern France (Bordeaux and south). Crossing from France to Spain means the Pyrenees - They are very capable of collect big fat Grey clouds.

For France do not forget the disposable breathalyser kits (Halfords sell them - carry 2) - Helmets need front/rear and side reflectors by law. And (just in case) - GREEN CARD.

Anything I've missed - Just ask. - Forgot. PLAN FUEL STOPS. Do not ride to reserve - Set yourself a distance - say 100miles. I can think of several stretches of road in Spain and France where fuel stops can be sparse.

Last edited:
Skip leather for synthetics. Something like a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket or similar ballistic nylon mesh. Go for cool reflective colors. Skip black clothing. Favor jackets with vents. Some mesh jackets have water resistant thinsulate liners when it cools off.

Gloves with mesh on back or perforated leather help keep you cooler.

Carry more water than you expect to need. Drink freely.

Ceramic beads and water absorbing crystals can be had in neck wear that slowly evaporate and cool. If you get overheated, drench the inside of your helmet.

Wear breathable clothing that will evaporate sweat. At the same time, keep the water coming as you may not notice how much you are actually sweating in the wind.

Use sheepskin, beads or similar to get more airflow on the seat. Leather on seat superior to vinyl for comfort in the heat.

Cut back a bit on caffeine or alcohol as they are diuretics.

Cover exposed skin.

Back