Totally screwed up my bike

Anomaly

.060 Over
Ride
2015 R3T
Not at all sure what I did, but I completely messed up my bike.

Long story short my bike was being a little hesitant when accelerating, and at idle so I balanced the throttle bodies. It helped at idle, but not when ridin'.

Took it to a mechanic he retuned it charged me $500 and it didn't fix the problem. He said my bike needed to have the TPS adjusted and he didn't have the cord to connect to it. I do, should have been easy.

Without being able to find detailed pictures of the ISVC adjustment nut, I went off the descriptions I read online. Apparently I misread something or misunderstood. Tried several times to get the adjustment nut for the ISVC set right with the primary TPS at voltage, amd never could. Got it as close as I could, put it back together and fired it up. Now it idles at (what appears to be) full throttle and in Neutral the bike jerks from the engine speed.

Can't ride it to the Triumph dealer, and it is a heavy ass bike to push up a ramp.

I would love some help. If anyone lives is the Dallas area and wants to make a few hundred bucks, let me know.

If anyone wants to help guide me online through fixin' it please do. Unfortunately the guide I found online was not for the rocket so while the info was helpful, the pictures were not and I couldn't figure out what was what. (I thought I had until I fired it up)

I think instead of adjusting the ISVC I just changed the idle set screw. But I am at a loss and just plain frustrated.

To make matters worse, I need to replace my muffler. I bought a Dain muffler had it dyno tuned twice (for AFR) and couldn't get it to stop bluing. Turns out the way it is designed (perhaps mine is a fluke) the exhaust gasses are being directed right to one spot in the muffler rather than down the middle. So that spot has finally irreparably damaged the muffler and is horribly tarnished.

I am sure someone will chime in with assistance. Good luck with getting your ride back to normal, actually hopefully better than its ever been.

Well, just looked through the service manual (should have done that first) and yep, I definitely changed the idle set screw. I'll need to fix that. Looks like it was set to 800rpm.

Not knowing what you mean by "retuned it" but I would request a refund of $500 if the mechanic did not fix the problem!

Or this guy would be walking around with a limp for a long time. This dip$hit is nothing but a liar and thief.

I hate seeing people get taking for.

Dain mufflers don't seem to be the best approach for these bikes. Not a good design. The bikes I have heard with these mufflers don't sound all that good. This is just a personal opinion of what I have seen and heard.

Go back and do the exact opposite of what you adjusted on the bike. This should get you back to where you was at,,, from the get go. At least it will not idle at full throttle.

To change the Primary TPS and set first change TPS By unplugging the old one and then take out screw in the rear throttle body

insert new tps line up threaded hole and insert screw until finger tight.Plug TPS back into harness.

Now to set it up you need to link up with the bike see below.

To link Tune ECU to the Bike.

1st plug cable into computer first and listen for dadonk as the computer recognizes the cable.

2nd plug cable into bike look for the light if yours has one.

3rd Key switch to 'on' and handlebar kill switch to 'run' position but do not start the engine.

4th open Tune ECU and watch for the green TPS light as you link up.

Once you are linked up you need to do a complete ISCV reset anything else will not be right NO SHORT CUTS.

With bike linked up an dnot running go to TEST tab upper right corner of tune ecu NOT the DIAGNOSTICS tab and not the MAP EDIT tab.

Once on the test tab go to the second from the bottom left of the tune ecu screen Adjust ISCV

Double click it and a box will show up asking you if you want to perform the reset click yes or ok and it will move the stepper motor all the way back and tell you to check and set the Primary TPS to .60 volts use the gauge on the screen to read the volts. The written instructions for each step in the procedure are on the bottom of the tune ecu screen follow them do not deviate. Once the primary TPS is set to .60 volts you will double click on the Adjust ISCV button again and the stepper motor will move .12 volts you should see .72 volts on your screen and at the bottom it will tell you if it is not .72 volts you need to adjust the stepper motor nut ( Do not mess with the Primary TPS just the 7 mm bolt on the bottom of the stepper motor.

As the screen says once it is set to .72 volts you double click the adjust ISCV button again and the computer starts adaptations between the stepper motor and the TPS along with the ecu map. NOTE IT STATES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN DO NOT TOUCH NOTHING WHILE THIS PROCESS IS HAPPENING. The bottom of the screen will tell you when it is complete. Once it is complete double click reset adaptations. Then turn key off for five seconds and you are ready to fire her up and do a 12 minute tune. A 12 minute tune is done from COLD START up no throttle just fire her up and let her idle until the fan first kicks once the fan starts let engine idle for 12 minutes. After that test ride the bike.

Must give credit to warp9.9 on the instructions.

Last edited:
Not knowing what you mean by "retuned it" but I would request a refund of $500 if the mechanic did not fix the problem!

Or this guy would be walking around with a limp for a long time. This dip$hit is nothing but a liar and thief.

I hate seeing people get taking for.

Dain mufflers don't seem to be the best approach for these bikes. Not the a good design. The bikes I have heard with these mufflers don't sound all that good. This is just a personal opinion of what I have seen and heard.

Go back and do the exact opposite of what you adjusted on the bike. This should get you back to where you was at from the get go. At least it will not idle at full throttle.

To change the Primary TPS and set first change TPS By unplugging the old one and then take out screw in the rear throttle body

insert new tps line up threaded hole and insert screw until finger tight.Plug TPS back into harness.

Now to set it up you need to link up with the bike see below.

To link Tune ECU to the Bike.

1st plug cable into computer first and listen for dadonk as the computer recognizes the cable.

2nd plug cable into bike look for the light if yours has one.

3rd Key switch to 'on' and handlebar kill switch to 'run' position but do not start the engine.

4th open Tune ECU and watch for the green TPS light as you link up.

Once you are linked up you need to do a complete ISCV reset anything else will not be right NO SHORT CUTS.

With bike linked up an dnot running go to TEST tab upper right corner of tune ecu NOT the DIAGNOSTICS tab and not the MAP EDIT tab.

Once on the test tab go to the second from the bottom left of the tune ecu screen Adjust ISCV

Double click it and a box will show up asking you if you want to perform the reset click yes or ok and it will move the stepper motor all the way back and tell you to check and set the Primary TPS to .60 volts use the gauge on the screen to read the volts. The written instructions for each step in the procedure are on the bottom of the tune ecu screen follow them do not deviate. Once the primary TPS is set to .60 volts you will double click on the Adjust ISCV button again and the stepper motor will move .12 volts you should see .72 volts on your screen and at the bottom it will tell you if it is not .72 volts you need to adjust the stepper motor nut ( Do not mess with the Primary TPS just the 7 mm bolt on the bottom of the stepper motor.

As the screen says once it is set to .72 volts you double click the adjust ISCV button again and the computer starts adaptations between the stepper motor and the TPS along with the ecu map. NOTE IT STATES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN DO NOT TOUCH NOTHING WHILE THIS PROCESS IS HAPPENING. The bottom of the screen will tell you when it is complete. Once it is complete double click reset adaptations. Then turn key off for five seconds and you are ready to fire her up and do a 12 minute tune. A 12 minute tune is done from COLD START up no throttle just fire her up and let her idle until the fan first kicks once the fan starts let engine idle for 12 minutes. After that test ride the bike.

Yeah, what he said!

If I'm reading this right you adjusted the throttle stop not an idle screw as idle is controlled by the ECU. The throttle stop screw should not be adjusted (!) and has a paint mark on it when it was set. You should have a few threads hanging out and I would like you to check which way you went by seeing how many threads are exposed after the lock nut. I will check later to see what you found. All is not lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm reading this right you adjusted the throttle stop not an idle screw as idle is controlled by the ECU. The throttle stop screw should not be adjusted (!) and has a paint mark on it when it was set. You should have a few threads hanging out and I would like you to check which way you went by seeing how many threads are exposed after the lock nut. I will check later to see what you found. All is not lost.

I did take a photo of it before I changed it so I think I have it set back correctly. I also think I now properly have the ISCV set right. Time to button it back up and test ride it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did take a photo of it before I changed it so I think I have it set back correctly. I also think I now properly have the ISCV set right. Time to button it back up and test ride it.
Once you move it back you will have to do a full ISCV reset again as it will have changed.

I don't know anyone on here who rides and modifies their bike to please others. The many folks who have purchased pipes from @Dain are generally happy with them, including me.

I haven't had much correspondence with others about other pipes because they have no reason to share with me.

That said, there are a number of options, and CES is certainly a good one if one can afford it.

Back