Torque loss-RU 2780's

Muddbhut

.020 Over
Good morning all,
Quick question. I have been reading as much as i can find lately on the RU-2780 triple filters and a few times i have read that there is torque loss in the lower RPM (<3500 i think). I have noticed the loss in torque (3x 2780's + Tors). I know the stock header is a limiting factor. Until i get some Roadster Jardines or put the stock plenum back in (no way!), is there a way to recover the lost low end torque? Only thing i could imagine changing minus header or plenum would be larger filters (RX-4010 or 4040). Thought i would ask here before dropping $150+ on new filters.
Bike seems to be running fine with a modified 20688 TORs tune (with the R3R_slip values pasted in), just a loss of low end torque.

Thanks, Mudd
2013 Matte Black / White stripes R3R

The torque loss with the RU-2780 filters is in comparison to the stock plenum's longer intake runners and the resonance filling that it produces under 3000 rpm. This occurs with any short air filter that will fit under the stock bearclaw.

This is also a common occurrence with many aftermarket exhaust systems. Torque output is moved to a higher rpm range with less torque available from 2000-3000 rpm.

What really needs to happen is that the intake and exhaust are better matched to the needs of the engine, and torque is increased throughout the range via better cylinder filling. It is not just a flow issue, it is about pulse tuning and resonance in both intake and exhaust, to get the intake velocity and pressure recovery to better fill the cylinders.

Most think they need want HP, when the issue is that they need more torque available up through 4500 rpm.

We are working on this issue.

I hope this helps.

A dyno tells the truth, but to be honest I never noticed a loss of torque when I installed the 2780s. Currently running 1770s in preparation for a Carpenter package. (soon, I have the cash, hoping to get my Sprint back up and running first)

Edit: I just remembered, I installed the Jardines at the same time, so of course I didn't, LOL.

I have the RU-2780 triple filters fitted but also have reband Pipes and a Dyno.
173 ft lb torque is a good result and it kicks in very early.

Just for info - Battersea informs me that we MAY see the RAMAIR filter specifically designed for the R3 late next week.

Apparently RAMAIR put the wishes and needs of Aston Martin ahead of us. - Tsk!. :D

I will be calling RAMAIR later today - and my plan is to collect one for testing in September when I'm in the UK. No pictures yet - but as soon as we have them - so will you.

From what I've heard - has a hole for the AIT sensor in the baseplate. Radiused inlet runners. Rumour has it it will come with necessary wiring extensions and crankcase breather. They are supposedly also looking at a different bearclaw to give cold air feed.

We'll see.

Ramair

Just to follow on with Chris's post, I spoke to Ramair on Tuesday and there is no question that they will bring out a Rocket filter very soon. The tooling for the inner cage and foam are already made and the mould for the base was being collected on Tuesday.

There isn't anything of the actual thing that I can show right now but I have a screen image of the Solidworks model I gave them to copy. They have modified it to fall in with their production methods but essentially this is what it will look like.

Just spoken with RAMAIR's R+D chap. He hopes they'll have some ready beginning of September. They'll put me one aside to collect when I'm in the UK in just over a fortnight.

:D

I now have to explain this "stop" to my wife - I don't expect a happy reception for the news.
:flame:

Just spoken with RAMAIR's R+D chap. He hopes they'll have some ready beginning of September. They'll put me one aside to collect when I'm in the UK in just over a fortnight.

:D

I now have to explain this "stop" to my wife - I don't expect a happy reception for the news.
:flame:
could you just say the world of motorcycling in hanging on to the report you will submit to get on with life on two wheels I mean the whole world!

I was in Zazuar not too long ago have you been there ...no .. not surprised it is a spanish hole in middle of nowhere .
as I worked for Iberia I did visit the interior off the beaten path ..and zazuar is REALLY a hole. nuff said..

Just to follow on with Chris's post, I spoke to Ramair on Tuesday and there is no question that they will bring out a Rocket filter very soon. The tooling for the inner cage and foam are already made and the mould for the base was being collected on Tuesday.

There isn't anything of the actual thing that I can show right now but I have a screen image of the Solidworks model I gave them to copy. They have modified it to fall in with their production methods but essentially this is what it will look like.

I'm struggling a little to see how this design is likely to be appreciably better than the small triples. What are the benefits of this?

Back