Top Speed Limiter/Fuel Cutoff...

MiamiDave

Supercharged
Top Speed Limiter/Fuel Cutoff...

This just came to me...I have a Tuneboy not intalled as of yet-however, I plan on raising the redline to 6800 rpms and raising my top speed limiter to oblivion. I'm wondering if this is a good idea, and here's why...

Hitting the redline on the R3 might be fairly abrupt. Hiting the TS cutoff is more gentle, and long before RPM cutoff.

Now, I've been to 140 10+ times, and in excess of 145 maybe 5x, and clearly into the 150 3x...never once did I hit the redline, and always seemed to have a bit to go, but slowly, and gently...my new concern is, lets say I add more power, remove the restrictions and slam right into the redline cutoff at speed...will that upset the bike/rider and possibly cause a mishap...?

I've never hit the rev limiter, so I don't know how gentle it is-I've seen it happen to cars, and it ain't so pretty... :shock:

rev

most cars i've had--rev limit was reached going thru gears---not top end. viper was last one. don't think i'd want to try that in hi-gear on 2 wheels @150 +. you keep my old ass posted on the outcome !!!ha!---will not get any info. from me on this !!-------bump--wind---etc. -sudden change---not me jack !!----john

I was hoping you'd answer 'H...

Also goes to show how far the tach is off as well (which is just as common as the speedo). If you tell the computer to do something, it will do it 6800 real rpms vs showing 7200 on tach.

Just something I thought about when answering another post. Good to know... 8)

rev.

guys----are you saying that you can shift up from 4th to 5th at 6800 and gain 200 more rpm ??? ---just at that moment ?? please explain . thought you meant raising rev. limit to 7000---7200--etc. ---wot--highway.. --etc.----???--john

And how does the bike handle at 150mph? I have had my stock at only 135mph indicated... and how would it handle with a turbo at even higher speeds? :roll: :shock: :lol:

hombre said:
I've had the speedo needle (with TuneBoy correction) solid on the engine warning light (past the 140 mark)... estimated near 160 MPH. Bike is "rock" solid but air blast is tremendous. You will need at least a fly screen or small wind shield to crouch behind... and lots of straight road in front of you.

hombre

I wonder how much (MPH) a large clearview windscreen is rated for? I keep getting this thought of it breaking into my face! :shock:

hombre said:
Don't know about your large windscreen... it may even have too much drag to reach upper limits, but please let me qualify the stabilty of my R3 at high speed:

MY SMALL WINDSHIELD IS MOUNTED SO THAT THE CENTER OF PRESSURE IS BEHIND THE STEERING HEAD!!!

This means that it acts as a stabilizing force on my front end during high speed runs... the faster I go the more it stabilizes my front end. Most windshields are not mounted this way, and would destabilize your steering if the CP is in front of your steering head! Please be aware of this before you attempt high speed runs!

hombre

Thanks hombre... a very important tangent to remember! :lol:
I do remember that time when I took her up to 135mph, I began to feel a warble in the front end and backed off. I thought at that time the windshield (Triumph's large screen) was flexing under the pressure of the wind, first to one side then the other. This is what it felt like, not that I saw it, and at that speed, it is hard to verify details. :roll: I think your post added to the explanation of what I felt.

So how accurate is the tach? I've seen most motorcycle tachs on the dyno and motomags are off by quite a bit when on the computer :?

Have to reconsider my windshield options for this bike as I continue mods and gain experience... I start to wobble at 105mph with the Triumph summer windscreen...

Mik.e...

Back