Tools needed to change out rear brake pads

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
This might sound lame at first blush but I need to know what tools I need to change out my rear brake pads. I have to ask the question because my Rocket is in the shop right now so I obviously can't look at it.

I bought front and rear pads from Flipmeister and changed out the front a about six months ago. I didn't realize the rears were down to about 20% until receiving a voice mail tonight from the dealership who has my R3 in for the 30K service. I was out for a ride on my Harley and didn't get in until after they were closed. I was to have picked the R3 up this evening but was not able to do it so the alternate plane is to pick it up Tuesday morning in Tacoma and then set out to meet N1 and Ogre in Boise, ID. We will then set out for Packwood, WA doing a bit of exploring along the way. I can install the new pads for the rears in the parking lot at the motel in Boise but I don't know exactly what tools I'll need. I carry a basic took kit with me but it might not have the right tools to pull the rear caliper so I need a little help from my friends. What do I need?

No need to remove caliper, Mike, just spread the old pads further apart with a screwdriver, pull out two pad retaining clips and the retaining pin with pliers, slide pads out, new ones in, reassemble. Make sure the anti-rattle spring is in the right way on reassembly. Pump the rear pedal a few times to seat the new pads. Five minute job.

You can do it all with a screwdriver - no need for pliers. Pry the pads apart, lift the pin retainers with the screwdriver and remove them, remove the pin (inwards - towards the wheel), change the outside pad, push the caliper towards the wheel, change other pad, put it back together and pump the pedal till it's hard.

Surely 'bout the easiest thing to replace on the Rocket; that's for sure. Front ones are the same way. Make sure the anti-rattle springs stay in place though...

If you can get hold of some 'R' pins to replace the split pins then you can change the pads with no tools, as the pads will come away from the disc by pushing the caliper in with your hands.

He said he was going to call you today, but I guess he hasn't.

He was talking about going down a little early, but I think those plans have been canceled.

Back