Too Busy…or Too Scared...

steelboss

.040 Over
Hi,
I run an engineering group and I am busy and traveling all the time. I have a 2008 Rocket III Touring and I have purchased a full blown Tuneboy with LT1, B&M's & Jardines full exhaust.
Well…I installed the B&M's, Jardines and then when I started looking at the tuneboy setup I realized that I don't have the diagnostics resources here to go ahead with the tunes. I live in China and my mech would not understand. So, I decided to spare myself the misery of making a mistake and i put everything back the way is was… No B&M, no Jardines, no Tuneboy. All that gear is piled up on the guest bedroom floor.
I still don't want to face the B&M / Tuneboy right now, but I do have a question:

Can I install only the full exhaust (remove the cat) and new (tuneboy) heat sensor? This is just to change the sound a bit. Will the bike run normally?

Please advise.
Thanks
Tony

I am not sure I can answer this because there are a few things/questions I would have. First what is the B&Ms? or do you mean K&N filters? I am also unsure what you mean about LT1?
As for installing the Jardins pipes and the new tune boy I would like to know what tune boy you have? Did it come with a wide band O2 sensor and Innovate controller? (this would be the tune boy multi trim software not the regular tune boy)(also is it wireless or do you have a cable?) If so and you have a Jardine tune I beleive you will be just fine the only difference is you ECU will adapt the fuel map in a wider band verses the standard narrow band that comes with the bike.

Hi Warp,
we have chatted before. Yes, I meant K&N air filters. I was enjoying some red wine and started thinking about my hot rod days, sorry. I have the new tuneboy with the cable and O2 sensor, etc. I think this bike is fast enough for where I live, especially because it is so hard to stop / control deceleration. If I can just throw the new headers and pipes on…..er… can I?

Tony

Tony, with the exhaust change and K&N filter you will need a new tune. If there is a Triumph dealer there, they should be able to help you.

Tony, with the exhaust change and K&N filter you will need a new tune. If there is a Triumph dealer there, they should be able to help you.

There is no Triumph dealer in know of in China. I am in the middle of nowhere. I just want to change the headers & pipes only… can i duo that? No change for K&N…leaving it stock..

In your situation and given that you said you don't want to face TuneBoy (or presumably TuneECU) just now, I'd consider getting a Dobeck TFI from flipmeister.com. It just adds fuel and is very simple to adjust. My bike runs very nicely with one.

OK in looking at the tune boy site There is no live tuning mod for the Touring Model So you could down load the latest tune boy /tune edit from their site and load the 20258 after market exhaust map into your bike. Before loading it I would open the map first in Tune edit and look at the constants page to make sure it is set for wide band O2 if so then install the sensor. If not then leave you O2 sensor in her or pull it out and plug the bung hole. When I get home I will save the map and open it up and have a looksee. My bet it since it does not have a livetuning map the wide band O2 will not work. Unless of course they sent you speciffic software for it. It would not surprise me if they did because live tuning wwas available to certain individuals before it was available on the site.

Since you do have a cable You do have the tune ecu choice also provided the cable has not been changed over the years. Then you could still load someones custom Jardine map into the beast. Personally I would go the tune boy route since you spent the money already. The diagnostic capability is worth learning especially since you do not have a dealer around you.

err…so if i change the headers and pipes only..then they engine will not run properly?

Thanks

Yes it will probably be a little lean. How long ago did you get the tune boy? Did it come with a disc. what Version tune boy is it. They are in version 5 right now but back in th eday I ran 3.9.9 I will see if that version will open a Touring map. If not i will try the version 5. If yours is not a live tune loading a map will be easy to accomplish. We can walk you thru it. Also what version computer do you have XP, Vista, windows 7 or 8?
I love the XP but is not going to be supported after April. So I will take the internet away from my note book and just use it for tune boy and the beast.

Back