TomTom Rider

bfreesun

.020 Over
Just noticed Tomtom Rider is now £250 on UK site and $900 on US site.
WTF is going on?

I'm seriously considering buy a Rider despite having a 910 already. My daughter can have it for her car.

Is the Rider any good, better for a bike than a 910?

£250 is about half of what they were. US price doesn't seem to have fallen.
One of my considerations is whether a new model was in the offing.

Garmin Streetpilot 2610 now £170 on net. £999 a year ago!

I paid £425 at Gatwick for my Tomtom 910 and I thought that was a lot. They are now £340. Seems competition is hotting up.
The advantage of buying at Gatwick is that you can return any item within three months simply if you change your mind.
Not many people know that. :lol:

The trouble with the 910 is mounting it on a bike. I bought a Ram mount for the 700 but it's no good with the 910.

tom tom

I have a tom tom rider, had it for about 8 months now. It works great, the only adjustment I have had to make is that the attachment for the handlebar isnt big enough and doesnt like to be bent too much but will fit on eventually. Only drama here is that with my summer windscreen fitted (and the increased vibration on the handlebars because of) I found the vibration was too much for the rider and it kept crashing, and saying the sd card had come out, which it clearly hadnt. maybe some more rubber tape under the fitting may help but then you go to the problem of the bracket size etc.

I have found the windscreen fitting (the sucker pad type) has worked well on the tank, about the 2 o'clock postion from the fuel cap on a flat part but be aware that if not placed on the tank correctly it can come off, so loop a small lanyard on the tom tom and then onto the handle bars just in case. When in a good solid position it wont come off. Give it the "tug" test.

Ebay is a good place to get them also, as well as the unooficial upgrade CD's you can get, which are really useful, only 5 notes or there about.

When you remove it after use , you also take the bracket, which stops the pikeys robbing the bracket, which people often do in this sprawling metropolis.....

I have had my TomTom Rider for over a year now. I had it mounted on my handlebar on the VTX, and had no problems with the unit at all except for one storm that I went thru. It was rainy the whole day when I travelled abut 400 miles thru it. One downpour, comparable to buckets of water being dumped on you, I couldn't see a thing except the back of a semi, so that it what I concentrated on. When I mounted the unit to the R3, I noticed the power mount would not transfer the battery power to the unit. I called TomTom up and told them the problem and they said they would send me one right out. I didn't recieve it after a couple of weeks and called them up again, they said it was on back order and I would get one soon. Two weeks later I was sent two of them in separate packages. So just want to say I like it very much, have had no problems what-so-ever with vibration, but even though the unit itself is waterproof, becareful of the power mount itself in extreme conditions when it comes to water. (just remove the unit and it should be okay)

I originally bought a 700 but there was a problem and it was replaced with a 910. The mounts are different and I couldn't find one for my bike. Tomtom are now sending out free replacement mounts so I think I can break off the suction cup and it will fit my Ram mount. Hope so. That will do for the winter. I suspect new models and a price war over the winter will sort things out a bit but the price trend is definitely downwards.

Thanks for the info.

bfreesun said:
£250 is about half of what they were. US price doesn't seem to have fallen.
One of my considerations is whether a new model was in the offing.

Garmin Streetpilot 2610 now £170 on net. £999 a year ago!

I paid £425 at Gatwick for my Tomtom 910 and I thought that was a lot. They are now £340. Seems competition is hotting up.
The advantage of buying at Gatwick is that you can return any item within three months simply if you change your mind.
Not many people know that. :lol:

The trouble with the 910 is mounting it on a bike. I bought a Ram mount for the 700 but it's no good with the 910.

Do you know anything about the Garmin 2610? I just saw it on sale. Fish

The best point about TomTom Rider, is that you can use the free download TYRE to create bespoke routes, which is perfect for touring days, or complex routes where you want to avoid major towns and take in specific twisty roads, etc. This is what I mean:

Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/)

1) Create point A-B route in Google Maps

2) Drag and drop the indicated line path of the route around to create specific waypoints to avoid major towns / enjoy specific roads

2) Select 'Link to this Page' (just above top right of map) and Ctrl C (copy)

Trace Your Route Everywhere (TYRE), Free Download (http://www.tyre.tk)

1) Open TYRE software

2) Select File / Import From Website

3) Ctrl V (paste) web link in

4) Select 'Show Route' (Icon)

5) Check for accuracy

6) Rename Waypoints (optional) to road names

7) Click Ok

7) Select File / Save As and save to PC (*.Itn). Example '08 11 09 - Snowdonia'

8) Connect the TomTom unit to the PC via supplied cable

9) In Explorer copy the saved PC based file to the ITN (Itinary) folder on the TomTom

10) In TomTom load the route via the Itinary menu option

Enjoy!

Captain Scarlet said:
The best point about TomTom Rider, is that you can use the free download TYRE to create bespoke routes, which is perfect for touring days, or complex routes where you want to avoid major towns and take in specific twisty roads, etc. This is what I mean:

Google Maps (http://maps.google.co.uk/)

1) Create point A-B route in Google Maps

2) Drag and drop the indicated line path of the route around to create specific waypoints to avoid major towns / enjoy specific roads

2) Select 'Link to this Page' (just above top right of map) and Ctrl C (copy)

Trace Your Route Everywhere (TYRE), Free Download (http://www.tyre.tk)

1) Open TYRE software

2) Select File / Import From Website

3) Ctrl V (paste) web link in

4) Select 'Show Route' (Icon)

5) Check for accuracy

6) Rename Waypoints (optional) to road names

7) Click Ok

7) Select File / Save As and save to PC (*.Itn). Example '08 11 09 - Snowdonia'

8) Connect the TomTom unit to the PC via supplied cable

9) In Explorer copy the saved PC based file to the ITN (Itinary) folder on the TomTom

10) In TomTom load the route via the Itinary menu option

Enjoy!

For some reason, I like the way the Garmins look, but not sure about the models, some say the 2610 is best, now I see the zumo 550 as well as the zumo 660, not sure which is best but they aren't cheap.

I've had the 500 (much the same as the 550) and the 660, and I've found the 660 to be superior in almost every respect.

As for making custom routes, you can do this with the free software called 'Mapsource' issued by Garmin, much the same as the TomTom system.

Back