Told PCV Not Recommended.....By Dealer

R3Rx118

.060 Over
Ride
2015 R3Rx118
Hi all, not to start another thread dealing with a Power Commander but I couldn't find what I was looking for in the existing Threads...I did NOT read them all.
I talked to a dealer about mods for my Rocket, and asked them what they do. I am looking to do the intake and exhaust, secondaries, etc. Basically all the 'usual' stuff. So the dealer tell me they don't recommend a PC because the Triumph ECU is a CANbus and that it will just fight each other and not run correct. I asked if they just use a standard triumph map, and they said yes and that they've done it before and people were happy. I told them that I understand that IF just the exhaust was changed but I'm looking to do both and that the canned map from Triumph doesn't address that or the other parameters that I want to change. Also, that Harley are CANbus and MANY people, myself included, use other tuners.
So basically, do they just don't know what they are talking about, or is there something that I'm missing here with using a PC?? Seems like it's not different than using any other tuning tool, Tuneboy, tune ecu, etc.?? (Sorry for the long post but I want to get the whole story in)

Here's my experience. I do all of my own work on the Rocket except for when it came time to do the valves at 30,000 miles, I chose to take it to a dealership in Dallas. I am highly impressed with this dealership, their knowledge & courtesy. I don't say that often about a dealership. The head Triumph mechanic is very knowledgeable & conscientious. That being said, he told me the same things re: the tunes... All they know are the factory Triumph tunes. They know Power commander, but are vague at best on it. Also, they have no idea of the changes that can be gained by aftermarket intake setup & getting rid of the factory plumbing. He even told me that a/m intake would not gain any power, only throttle response. That's because they don't know what can be achieved by running the tunes by Hanso & others on this forum. So even if you have a good dealership that you trust. Don't listen to them when it comes to tunes, a/m intake, PCV, ect............

The pcv is a good bit of kit but to get the best out of it you wanna good dyno tuner , which ain't a bad thing ! Not only will they set the pcv up to get the best from the motor , they can also access the ECU to do things like open secondaries and unify .
The standard dealer tunes are generic and certainly not the best !

HA! HA! I just responded this in another thread -
My tune guru said my PC5 was unnecessary with a Tune ECU Dyno.
I disconnected it, leaving it hooked up in case I ever went with N 2O.
For two years all has ran excellent!

HA! HA! I just responded this in another thread -
My tune guru said my PC5 was unnecessary with a Tune ECU Dyno.
I disconnected it, leaving it hooked up in case I ever went with N 2O.
For two years all has ran excellent!
Steve what mods are you running with your tune.

In general dealers don't know much about the Rocket. Trust the guys on THIS forum. My dealer regularly calls me when they have questions about the Rocket. Yes you can us a PCV or Dobeck AFR Plus or TuneEcu or TuneBoy to adjust tunes on your bike when you make changes to intake and exhaust. I use both Dobeck AFR Plus and TuneEcu.

And what was that gas milage again? lol Just kidding, you, like I, most likely didn't buy and mod your beast to save fuel

Agreed - the mileage sux a biggie at just around 30mpg, but I L-O-V-E the performance!

Back