To Plug or Not To Plug?

mdglaw

.020 Over
GET NEW TIRE

Everything I have ever read indicates that plugging tires in general is not a good long term solution, although you will find plenty of instances where people have gone many miles with plugs. Many people do things every day that defy the odds. Still does not make the decision the correct one.

The trouble is that failure can be catastrophic, not merely inconvenient. What will you pay to assume a risk of death, injury, or complete destrucion of your ride?
Mike

From my experience in tire repair many years ago, plugs are bad and do not hold up. It is always best the break the tire down and apply a patch inside. I recommend you either patch the tire on the inside or get a new tire. You do not have the margin of error that a car has if a plug fails.
My two cents 8) 8)

Agree with warhorse, plug is temporary, open buff and burn a patch if you must, but the labor on a RIII rear tire make this moot. New tire, especially since you might exceed 55 mph. :lol: :lol: :lol:

John is that a liquid, 'anti-leak'? We run slime sometimes in the dirt bikes, but I have always avoided that kind of stuff for fear of a balance problem. Any trouble?

Hi Dave:

In the past most of us have agreed it would be best and safest to buy a new tire. I would not take a chance for continued riding on a plugged tire, just not worth it. :?

Chriss
GOOD RIDING........

Back