To modify or not to modify.... that is the question

geneseo1911

Naturally Aspirated
Ride
2007 Rocket Classic, 2018 Rocket Roadster
So, I've currently got a 2018 roadster with 10 miles on the clock, a carpenter exhaust, k&n filters, an obd 2 to usb cable, and a wideband 02 datalogger sitting in my shop. I had every intention of putting it all together this winter, but I'm having second thoughts.
Should i at least get it through the break in period before modifying it? I did take it out and run it through the gears and everything seemed ok, other than being noticeably slower than my '07.
I know I'm not patient enough to wait on the warranty to run out, but nothing Im doing is irreversible if it came to it. Making the engine breathe better can only be good for it... but then again i can't really properly tune it until i can do some power runs. Of course that will give me plenty of time to get the part throttle area dialed in. Mainly just thinking out loud here i guess.

The mods you speak of are nothing that can't be easily reversed (except fo replacing the bogus, useless air duct extravaganza).
Mine was at 0 miles and I put on 500 miles & changed oil. Then I did 500 more miles & changed oil again. Then I did another 1,000 miles more & changed oil.
At 2,000 miles and 3 oil changes later I went for it!

Take the snorkel off under the seat. Ride her this spring and get 1000 miles on her. Then do the mods. Now remember you will need to up-grade the front and rear suspension and get rid of those crappy stock tires. Replace them with AVON COBRA and enjoy.

Take the snorkel off under the seat. Ride her this spring and get 1000 miles on her. Then do the mods. Now remember you will need to up-grade the front and rear suspension and get rid of those crappy stock tires. Replace them with AVON COBRA and enjoy.

Bill,
Avon tires are merely OK.
There are better tires out there available for the Rocket, especially the Roadster.

Just because you have go-fast parts doesn't mean you have to beat on it all the time. I say modify it now while you can, and the second you think she's broken in, floor the piss outta her. I bought mine with less than 1300 miles, and it has been down the track 20-30 times. Modded or not doesn't matter imo. Mine with all those passes is enduring a tougher life as a stocker than someone who has a full Carpenter kit, and is scared to use it imo. Keep the oil clean, don't beat on a cold engine, and have some fun on that bike that was built to go fast!!

Modifying the bike to make it run properly and not changing anything to do with the engine is only smart in my opinion!

So, I've currently got a 2018 roadster with 10 miles on the clock, a carpenter exhaust, k&n filters, an obd 2 to usb cable, and a wideband 02 datalogger sitting in my shop. I had every intention of putting it all together this winter, but I'm having second thoughts.
Should i at least get it through the break in period before modifying it? I did take it out and run it through the gears and everything seemed ok, other than being noticeably slower than my '07.
I know I'm not patient enough to wait on the warranty to run out, but nothing Im doing is irreversible if it came to it. Making the engine breathe better can only be good for it... but then again i can't really properly tune it until i can do some power runs. Of course that will give me plenty of time to get the part throttle area dialed in. Mainly just thinking out loud here i guess.
YOU should be able to produce around 170 + HP if tuned properly

YOU should be able to produce around 170 + HP if tuned properly

Very difficilt for me to accept that 170 is a true and accurate reading on a stock engine.
Until I see one of then 170s dupliated on a different updated dyno, I shall remain skeptical.
Mine is just 160 and I'd love to run off with one of those 170s. I'll even meet you half way!

Back