To join the Dark Side or Not?

cardinal93

Top Fuel
Ride
07 Rocket III Classic, 11 Street Triple R
I've read a lot of the threads on here about the tires and I appreciate everyone's points of view.
Most of my riding here is done on the twisties alone and with groups consisting mostly of Triples, BMWs, the occasional HD :sick:(usually street rods), and as my footboards can attest to, the Beast likes to lean!!!

For those that ride CT, is it mostly cruising and highway miles?
Will I have to slow down tremendously through the curves? Can't let those knee draggers get out in front :rolleyes:

I definitely like the look, but not sure for riding in the alps and Black Forest over here, I'm willing to sacrifice any turning performance.

Sooo....Bridgestone or CT? I'm planning on putting an Avon on the front. Stock suspension by the way. I Have about a month of riding left on the Metz, so I'll need to order even sooner to have a replacement on hand.

Not trying to start any fights :D
Thanks for the input!!

Topic has been discussed to death...

...but look at the darkside videos on youtube. Scary thing to behold; at lean your contact patch becomes a fraction of what it normally is. Though I imagine you can pull from a stoplight a bit harder without spinning the rear.

The most common reply to the statement "look how much of the CT is in the air" is.... look how much is still on the ground. With the ideal air pressure, the patch on the ground, darkside will be much more than a MC. This has been discussed at length. At the RAA twisty rides, the majority of attendees are darkside. Get the right tire, right air pressure and you will be sold. I find them to be safer because of increased traction in starting, stopping and turning. The only downside I have found is a loss of HP because they are heavier causing increased inertia. When weighed against better launch traction, it is a worthy trade IMO. Now enter TP and IMf2 and W9. Three peas in the same pod.

No need for anyone to get pissy - this is a GREAT subject!
Me thinks tdragger has given the best/wisest advice here.

A CT works for many; however, if you wish to push your motor towards its handling limits, I would think it sensible to go with a tire engineered for motorcycles and a tire that is recommended by the engineers that designed the motorcycle.

It would be nice if one of these days some CT advocates and engineers would do some comprehensive scientific comparative testing in this regard. The problem is that tire and motorcycle engineers see this as a no brainer and do not take the CT issue seriously.
Best Regards,
1olbull

I've read a lot of the threads on here about the tires and I appreciate everyone's points of view.
Most of my riding here is done on the twisties alone and with groups consisting mostly of Triples, BMWs, the occasional HD :sick:(usually street rods), and as my footboards can attest to, the Beast likes to lean!!!

For those that ride CT, is it mostly cruising and highway miles?
Will I have to slow down tremendously through the curves? Can't let those knee draggers get out in front :rolleyes:

I definitely like the look, but not sure for riding in the alps and Black Forest over here, I'm willing to sacrifice any turning performance.

Sooo....Bridgestone or CT? I'm planning on putting an Avon on the front. Stock suspension by the way. I Have about a month of riding left on the Metz, so I'll need to order even sooner to have a replacement on hand.

Not trying to start any fights :D
Thanks for the input!!

Well yes here we go again.

I ride hard in the twisties as well. The bike that I had before getting the Roadster was a 2006 ZX-10R and I road it hard but never as hard as that bike was capable of going. Anyways I wanted something comfortable but yet have some power therefore I chose the Roadster. After becoming a member here I saw that our bikes could indeed accept a car tire on the back. I was however not a big fan of the idea mind you. Then out of no where I ran over a nail in which ruined my rear motorcycle tire (Metzler). So after much debating (in my head) I bought a Riken Raptor car tire for like $102 shipped to my house. I had the tire mounted, brought it home, installed it on the motorcycle, drove it around town, came back home and immediately ordered another Metzler motorcycle tire. I hated it! But after time went on and being to lazy to take the tire back off and paying to have it done over again I decided to just tough it out for awhile. After I got some miles on it the edges of the tire started to round off some in which made it easier for me to turn the bike OR my muscles have become stronger and I just can't tell it any longer. Seriously though the edges did round off.

Now after miles and miles I ride the twisties with the car tire but I still have a uneasy feeling about the tire. It has some characteristics that I don't like. Going through the twists from right to left the transition point is noticeable. It isn't a nice flow to the left or to the right motion. It has a "center" if you will .... a hump you have to cross to bring the over to the left lean or to the right lean. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Another is if you look at my car tire you will see that I have been "in some cases" riding on the sidewall. It has started to look thin on the side wall I might add. It's starting to "groove" out spots. I might have fell off the turnip truck yesterday but I know that a motorcycle or car tire is NOT meant to be run on the sidewall. I'm talking about I can't read the top portion of the letters on the sidewall.

Anyways pretty soon I will have a new Metz motorcycle tire on and will make up my own mind which one I like the best. I have clearly forgotten what its like to have a MT on the rear. The reason I'm going with Metz front and back is remember when I ordered the Metz to have that **** car tire took off? I've got to use it some time or another. lol

Who knows..... I might wish I had the car tire back on but I'm not a big fan of riding on the sidewall. Hope this helps and hope I didn't confuse any further.

Oh yeah.... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

My opinion try both. First the Bridgestone exedra max and then a car tire if you decide you do not like the way the bridgy rides and the longer mileage. I tried both and after 500 miles I used the car tire to start a bon fire out back it was very good at getting the green wood to burn. its not for me but unles you try it you won't be able to form a opinion on what you think which is the only thing that matters.:D

My opinion try both. First the Bridgestone exedra max and then a car tire if you decide you do not like the way the bridgy rides and the longer mileage. I tried both and after 500 miles I used the car tire to start a bon fire out back it was very good at getting the green wood to burn. its not for me but unles you try it you won't be able to form a opinion on what you think which is the only thing that matters.:D

I really like that opinion. Next time this topic gets brought up I will just throw it out there "Try both!"

Back