DJ

Bob Ewell fell on his Knife.
Ride
2007 R3 Classic
Not to re-hash old threads, but....

I need a couple of new tires and am starting the hunt for a set.
The question I have is not what tire feels better to anybody, but rather, which tire/brand etc. is rated better, and has better performance data. Some tires will last longer, but are we exchanging grip for longevity to get them to last longer?

Any thoughts???

And no, I'm not going to the dark side...

Overall best rear tire by overwhelming concensus, for all models, is the Bridgestone Exedra Max 240/55 16, DJ. It's about 1/2" taller than stock, so it actually improves the ergos and it is great in wet or dry, plus it should be good for 7-10K miles on normal composition roads, depending on your riding style.

I'd recommend pairing it with the Michelin Commander II 140/75 17 up front or even the Bridgestone Exedra Max 130/70 17 (WARNING - The 130 is not compatible with ABS brakes and it reportedly reduces the ground clearance on roadster models to a dangerous level) ... either tire will make a Rocket feel 150-200 lbs lighter and commensurately improve steering, tracking and turn-in. The 130 makes my beast downright flickable!

Here' a decent earlier thread on the subject, DJ: Bridgestone Exedra Max Radial | R3Owners

BTW, I'm an old CSU Chico alum. Whereabouts are you in NorCal?

Last edited:
Overall best rear tire, by overwhelming concensus, for all models except the R3T, is the Bridgestone Exedra Max 240/55 16, DJ. It's about 1/2" taller than stock, so it actually improves the ergos and it is great in wet or dry, plus it should be good for 7-10K miles on normal composition roads, depending on your riding style.

If your R3 does not have ABS brakes, I'd recommend pairing it with the Michelin Commander II 140/75 17 up front or even the Bridgestone Exedra Max 130/70 17... either tire will make a Rocket feel 150-200 lbs lighter and commensurately improve tsteering, tracking and turn-in.

Here' a decent earlier thread on the subject, DJ: Bridgestone Exedra Max Radial | R3Owners

thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

And your an actual Chico grad? Now that is impressive considering its history as the #1 party school for years. An old friend of mine made through her freshman year at Chico. Then she called her dad to tell him she's coming home. If she stayed at Chico she said she would have flunked out. Way too many parties.

I'm in Pleasanton BTW. 45 minutes north of San Jose.

Beautiful part of the country with excellent riding, DJ.

Yes, I survived CSUC from '75-'79, when it was ranked the #1 play school in the nation by Playboy magazine, no less, for about 10 or 11 years running!

years in a row! I didn't have a clue about that when I applied, but it was a nice bonus, regardless.

Overall best rear tire, by overwhelming concensus, for all models except the R3T, is the Bridgestone Exedra Max 240/55 16, DJ. It's about 1/2" taller than stock, so it actually improves the ergos and it is great in wet or dry, plus it should be good for 7-10K miles on normal composition roads, depending on your riding style.

If your R3 does not have ABS brakes, I'd recommend pairing it with the Michelin Commander II 140/75 17 up front or even the Bridgestone Exedra Max 130/70 17... either tire will make a Rocket feel 150-200 lbs lighter and commensurately improve tsteering, tracking and turn-in.

Why did you say....except for the R3T? That's what I put on the rear of my touring last September and it seem to run out just fine. Thinking about the same for the front in the Spring or maybe the Avon Cobra.

Yep, great year round riding. The only difference between winter and summer is maybe a slightly warmer coat. My bi*#h is the frigging traffic. It's getting stupid crazy. It never use to bother me, but now it drives me nuts.
Beautiful part of the country with excellent riding, DJ.

Yes, I survived CSUC from '75-'79, when it was ranked the #1 play school in the nation by Playboy magazine, no less, for about 10 or 11 years running!

years in a row! I didn't have a clue about that when I applied, but it was a nice bonus, regardless.

Why did you say....except for the R3T? That's what I put on the rear of my touring last September and it seem to run out just fine. Thinking about the same for the front in the Spring or maybe the Avon Cobra.

I corrected my post to be clearer, Bediff.:cool:

The 240 Ex Max won't fit the rear rim of the R3T, but I guess you already knew that.:laugh:;)

Back