Rocket Scientist

Grand Exulted Poobah
Ride
Black 05' Rocket III standard
Awhile back I purchased a roadside tire repair kit and and a portable air compressor. I picked up a roofing nail near the center of my rear tire. Even though I was at home I decided to try and fix it with just what I carry in the bike. It worked like a champ. The air compressor is not a real ball of fire. It took about 20 minutes to reach the 43psi I run, but it didn't get hot or run down my battery. Here is what I used. Bought them on eat-me-bay for about $40.00 a piece. The plugs have a head on them like a rivet and are considered a permanent fix. I wouldn't be scared to go wide open with it.

Good kit for the road!

Gonna do a real fix, or see if the plug goes the distance?

The tire only has about 1000 miles on it. I never seem to get a flat on an old worn out POS tire. I'm probably going to see if it will hold up. Has anyone here ever had a rapid deflation on the back of a an R3 ? Did the beads stay on the rim ?

Two things that bug me on my 2005 the air pressure in the rear tires needs to be checked often i seem to lose a few pounds between rides and the battery loses power if not kept on the charger. I've had my share of flats and used the tire repair kit once going cross country, it lasted the life of the tire. I have a friend that had three plugs in his balding HD rear tire..he's a cheap bast**d though and seems to always have lady luck on his side..:whitstling: Last trip I took to Sturgis awhile back i used the sealing goo, it rusted the inner rims of my RK. To me the Rocket is a different story the way i ride it i'd be too paranoid to ride it with a plug..jmo

I didnt have a rapid flat but i did put a new tire on the rim in the garage and it aired up fine. Used a small compressor. I imagine its probaly different with the bike weight on it though.

I plugged a DarkSide tyre a few years back and got another 15,000 miles out of it without a problem. I used a repair kit from Wally Mart that cost about $5 or $10.

Yup, had a flat on the rear, about 2000 miles, BIG bolt in middle of tire. Took 3 plugs and 2 cans of fix-a-flat to get it to hold air. Beads stayed seated thank God. Ever try to push a Rocket around with a flat rear tire? I now have a plug kit, and some of those co2 cartridges for filling tires. Hope I never have to use them.

Yup, had a flat on the rear, about 2000 miles, BIG bolt in middle of tire. Took 3 plugs and 2 cans of fix-a-flat to get it to hold air. Beads stayed seated thank God. Ever try to push a Rocket around with a flat rear tire? I now have a plug kit, and some of those co2 cartridges for filling tires. Hope I never have to use them.

I did a little reading up on the CO2 cartridges. Four of them will just start to lift the bike on a flat 240 rear tire. That's why I opted for an air compressor.

Fred I have the same kit and same situation ... I just replaced my tire right before RAA this year and ended up with nail. I used the same exact kit with the exception I use co2 to inflate still riding I have about 1000 miles on the plug have not changed the way I ride. Plus its good to know what you are carrying works and you know how to use it.

Fred I have the same kit and same situation ... I just replaced my tire right before RAA this year and ended up with nail. I used the same exact kit with the exception I use co2 to inflate still riding I have about 1000 miles on the plug have not changed the way I ride. Plus its good to know what you are carrying works and you know how to use it.
I bought the exact same kit and couldn't get it to work. I couldn't get the plug through the hole. I guess I'm just stupid but tried and tried. No luck. Finally took the wheel to the tire store.

Back