Tire install at home?

IdahoRenegade

.060 Over
Ride
Previously-2012 Rocket Roadster
I've always installed ADV/dual sport tires at home with spoons. More than anything else to avoid the inconvenience of hauling the wheel into a dealer for an install, but also for practice in changing tires/tubes on the road. Anyone ever do a Rocket tire with tire spoons (irons); especially a darkside?

I have used the cable tye method to dismount and mount dirt and street bike tires with ease. Works a little better than spoons on street bike tires but the dirt rims are so thin its just as easy with spoons.
tyes for tire.jpg

years ago i did a lot of tires so i decided to do my rear (240) tire i took it off and to break the beads i put it in a vice. when i tried to take it off the rim the (metz) side walls was so hard two of us could not do it without messing up the rim. the dealer tells me it takes three guys to change it.
if it has a ct because the side walls are thin i would think it would take an expert to unseat the tires.
$ 20 to $ 50 a bargain
if u do it your self u will save about a $1 hour:roll::roll:
and i know some one has done it in 5 minutes.:rolleyes:

years ago i did a lot of tires so i decided to do my rear (240) tire i took it off and to break the beads i put it in a vice. when i tried to take it off the rim the (metz) side walls was so hard two of us could not do it without messing up the rim. the dealer tells me it takes three guys to change it.
if it has a ct because the side walls are thin i would think it would take an expert to unseat the tires.
$ 20 to $ 50 a bargain
if u do it your self u will save about a $1 hour:roll::roll:
and i know some one has done it in 5 minutes.:rolleyes:
Thats what I am afraid of. I have not tried to change the tire on anything bigger than a 180. I agree it is worth $20-$50 to keep from damaging the rim. But when it is time I will at least give it a go to see if I can. I always like a challenge.

I change my front tyres without a problem using spoons. I have changed the rear a few times using spoons, each time with a DS tyre. However, the Riken Raptor which I have on now wouldn't go on so I took it to the local car tyre chap and he used his machine to finish the job. $20 well spent.

The last rear tire I had mounted (Brigestone), at the dealership, with a very nice machine, took 2/3 guys to get her on. Our rear rim is so wide, and does not have much of a drop in the center. Makes it VERY hard to mount.

Good luck getting the raptor off, I found mine to be so tight it would be impossible with spoons. Mine was a 225/50/16. Had to cut it off, don't know what I would do if I was stuck on the road. 2 shops in my area tried to remove and failed, had to take it home and do it myself. 1 of the shops was the one who put it on in the 1 st place. Way more difficult than any motorcycle tire

Back