Tire Change Question and Comment

Mitchcpc

Supercharged
Hi All,

Question. For a rear tire change I am assuming you must remove the brake rotor. Are you all reusing the attachment bolts for the rotor or getting new ones?

Second, I thought I could cut a fat hog in the ass by getting a Dunlop 240/55/16 that is on the new Suzuki C109 rear..$455 not installed. Makes the Metz look better...

As always, thanks for sharing your experience.

HEY, WILL I SEE ANY OF YOU AT STURGIS NEXT WEEK? LEAVING SUNDAY, BE THERE WEDNESDAY !!!!!!!!! 1,250 miles each way !!

brake rotor can stay on the wheel, you do need to loosen the brake CALIPER bolt to remove the wheel from the bike

Hi Mitch:

I just did a tire change in the last week. Not sure if you have to remove the rotor or not, but I went ahead and removed it to prevent damage. There were just six or so bolts holding it in anyway, and took less than 5 minutes.

I used the same bolts upon re-installation, and put a little threadlocker on the bolts for good measure, as there appeared to be some on them from the factory.

If you were looking for a factory sanctioned answer, I don't have one, but I'm perfectly comfortable with my re-installed rotor. Neither the wheel nor the rotor have fallen off (yet).

Don't know if this helps, but at least its one more opinion.

You do not have to remove the rotor at all. However, make sure you take the axle and the spacer from the right side with you to have the new tire mounted.

Guys are right. No need to remove the brake rotor. I haven't needed to take the axle or spacer with me to get the tire mounted either. It depends on the shop whether or not you'd need to bring those things but I'd say most shops do not need them to mount or balance the tire.

Far as the second question... you actually want to pay $455 for a stinking tire? To that, I'd pass. The Dunlop is a higher profile tire that will give softer ride but I'd also bet the rubber is harder than the Metzeler. Should give a little better life but not much and definitely not worth more than double a Metzeler.

Or are you talking about using the C109 rim? To that, I'd say it won't work without modifying the rim as I am sure the interlocking mechanisms with the driveshaft are not compatible.

Back