Throttlemeister Install issues

friarjohn

.060 Over
Hope this is the right forum...

Two problems:

1. The end of the allen head screw on the left grip was already partially rounded out and I finished the job. Last time I tried to drill out a bolt and use an extractor I made things worse. Any suggestions? The bike is going to the dealership in a week to get the BS's mounted up, so I was thinking about making them do it, but if there's an easy fix...

2. On the right side (the bar end came off easily enough) I rolled back the grip and cut/filed the first couple of rows of tabs off, but I can't get the friction ring on there. It's just too tight. Ordinarily I would set it out in the sun to warm it up and perhaps soften it a bit but that's not available today. :D

At least I managed to get the Windvest, headlight eyebrows, standard shifter and touring seat (yeah a no brainer) installed today...

Not ignoring you, John. Just not sure I can offer any help. I have Kurri grips on mine and I can't recall how far in that allen screw is. I do know that the more you fiddle with it the harder it will be to get out. Only solution normally would be to somehow punch or cut a slot in it and get a screw driver in there but I don't think that an option for you. Do you have an impact driver? That might do it.

As far as the throttlemeister goes, I'm no help at all. But if you need to heat something up how about dropping it in near boiling water.

No, I didn't figure I was being ignored. Kind of obscure problems. Or a mix of obscure and mundane.

If possible I'd rather not mar or destroy the stock bar end to get the screw out. If I had more screw head to work with, like a button head or a cap head I could probably force it loose with a hammer and chisel. Of course a cap screw I could get vice grips onto. ****ed flush mount anyway...

I like the boiling water idea. Might have to try that. Thanks!

Just back this minute with a new G701 on the front to go with the Exedra Max on the back - which I love to bits. Easily the best rear tyre I've had but a BIG margin. The 701 doesn't look as good as the Cobra it's replaced IMO but I'm hopeful/confident of great handling and better mileage. It certainly has the tread exactly where you need it. The Max is already 2,000km better than the last rear Cobra with several ,000 still to go. :)

And to be clear - I'm talking about a Standard, not a Touring. ;)

Hope this is the right forum...

Two problems:

1. The end of the allen head screw on the left grip was already partially rounded out and I finished the job. Last time I tried to drill out a bolt and use an extractor I made things worse. Any suggestions? The bike is going to the dealership in a week to get the BS's mounted up, so I was thinking about making them do it, but if there's an easy fix...

2. On the right side (the bar end came off easily enough) I rolled back the grip and cut/filed the first couple of rows of tabs off, but I can't get the friction ring on there. It's just too tight. Ordinarily I would set it out in the sun to warm it up and perhaps soften it a bit but that's not available today. :D

At least I managed to get the Windvest, headlight eyebrows, standard shifter and touring seat (yeah a no brainer) installed today...

If the throttlemeister is too tight you need to add shims so the friction ring is about 4 to 5 mm off the throttle tube. You can use washers if you need bulk.

So I had the throttlemeister working perfectly last night, then I heard back from the company this morning.

The Rocket III kit isn't supposed to have a friction sleeve. The brass bushing is supposed to contact directly on the throttle tube. :: sigh :: :confused::rolleyes:

He tells me I should remove it. :soapbox: Good job, British Customs.

Back