Throttle body upper plates

dbutton12

.060 Over
Ride
2008 R3T
Just wondering if anyone actually knows the purpose of the upper set of plates in the throttle bodies. They appear to roughly follow the throttle plates and the upper (2nd) tp sensor follows the main throttle position sensor, but why is it there??? I'm guessing it's a safety device, but it also would seem that it's creating restriction and turbulence above the throttle plate. The service manual refers to the plates but does not give any operational description. I'm going with my own home-brew intake system and would just as soon eliminate them at this point. After all we already have the double pull throttle cables,,,,so what more is needed than that,,,,,and that is way more than we ever had on the old bikes!

Purpose is to reduce intake capacity, to make bike smoother at low speeds/throttle settings. They are partially closed in all gears but 5th. You can remove them but will need a tune or sue tune ECU and set to open 100% all the time

I don't think it does, i think it uses the fuel map for gear 4 for all gears. My TOR tune from triumph had them closed to some ddegree in 4th and 5th gear

A Gipro will also disable the secondaries

I don't think it does, i think it uses the fuel map for gear 4 for all gears. My TOR tune from triumph had them closed to some ddegree in 4th and 5th gear

Gipro/atre doesnt illiminate secondaries it tricks the bikes ecu into thinking it is in 4th gear so that the ignition timing is no longer retarded as it is in gears 1-3 but secondaries are un effected

Gipro/atre doesnt illiminate secondaries it tricks the bikes ecu into thinking it is in 4th gear so that the ignition timing is no longer retarded as it is in gears 1-3 but secondaries are un effected

It depends on the tune. I have the 20222 tune and it closes the secondaries in 1-3 and opens them in 4-5. This was proven to me by TuneECU. Since the gipro tricks the bike into thinking it is in 4th gear, that means they are open in all gears with the 20222 tune. Some tunes have the secondaries partially closed in 4th.

See this thread, post 25 for a more thorough explanation.

http://www.r3owners.net/general-tech-talk/10358-explain-secondary-function-me-3.html

Last edited:
It depends on the tune. I have the 20222 tune and it closes the secondaries in 1-3 and opens them in 4-5. This was proven to me by Tuneecu. Since the gipro tricks the bike into thinking it is in 4th gear, that means they are open in all gears with the 20222 tune. Some tunes have the secondaries partially closed in 4th.

This is true but as u say that is in conjunction with the correct tune setup . If your secondaries are partially closed in 4th gipro won't help and if u are going to the trouble of changing the tune in tune ecu/ tune boy ect u may aswell just save your money on the gipro and load a tune with secondaries open 100% all gears and ignition timing changed in the first three to begin with .

Correct, TuneECU will do the job, but some may not want to fool with it....like me.:D I dowloaded tuneECU just to check out the tune maps before I bought the Gipro. It nice to have the gear indicator too, a pretty blue light that changes numbers as you go up and down the gears.....cool!

The secondary throttle plate are to restrict the power approx 7%and supposed to smooth the bottom end, the truth of the matter is take them out and it is smoother but but more instant and of course Full power down low.
Just use TuneECU it is simpler and unlike the Gipro wont need to be reset if it decides to go haywire as some of them have But to answer the OP ? rip the the secondaries out less turblance just be carefull not to drop the little screws down the throat, use some tape along bottom edge just to be safe after you have done that get a TuneECU cable and gives us a yell telling us exactly what you have done one of us will have a suitable tune

I'm thinkin eliminate first>>>an try it?

My R3T is stock right now as far as the tune. I think I will just eliminate the plates for now and see how it performs as a baseline. I have the TORS exhaust system and my mileage is about 40mpg. I am hoping that I can do as I have with cars and get a performance boost without any mileage deficit.
If this system works the same as others I have f**d with, then the ECU will continue to control the plates as if they were still there. What I did not know was if they reacted somewhat similar to the old air door MAF sensors that we used to see on older PFI cars (80's to early 90's). So unless you guys tell me different, I'll assume that the plates in no way are a factor in mixture control.
I did not know (because manual doesn't say) that the stepper motor reacted to anything but idle speed. I forget the exact service manual wording but my impression was that the upper plates were used to stabilize idle.
Thanks all of you for your input, Dale

Back