throttle body sync

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
I used the search for throttle body sync-ing. only found a reference using tune ECU to check them.
I am a old Bmw & Moto Guzzi rider. Both of those bikes especially the later really benefited from a mechanical syncing the throttle bodies. I use a Twin Max to do the job.
Does anyone know which body is the master .
I have the bike in the stand for a tune up so want to check this out while I am at it.

Throttle Body Balancing - Rocket III
and Classic
Note:
• The Triumph diagnostic tool does not support
the throttle balancing adjustment for Rocket III
Touring. For Rocket III Touring throttle
balancing see page 11-185.
• Rocket III and classic throttles cannot be
balanced using equipment to measure vacuum
in each throttle. Instead, the Triumph
diagnostic tool must be used.
1. Remove the intake cover (see page 1/-147 for
Rocket III and Classic, see page 1/-151 for Rocket III
Touring) to allow access to the adjuster screws.
2. Connect the diagnostic tool, start the engine and
navigate to 'ADJUSTMENTS' (see page 1/-30>.
3. Select 'BALANCE THROTILES'.
T H R 0 T T L E 5
T H R 0 T T L E 1
T H R 0 T T L E 2
T H R 0 T T L E 3
Balance throttles screen
• The balance throttle screens show the vacuum
value of each throttle In mm/Hg. In addition,
when the throttles are balanced to an
acceptable range of each other, the word
'balanced' will appear in the top right hand
corner of the screen. At this point, no further
adjustment is necessary or productive

This is what the service manual says. It is on page 11.184 or there abouts.

http://www.cuppabella.com/Service_Manual_R3S_C_T.pdf

Now I know, as an even numbered Chief, even one living 1500 miles away from the ocean (and possibly an airdale!), you aren't going to take these guys at their word. It may take some doing, but it shouldn't be impossible to rig up something, if you don't want to use TuneECU. From what I have read, though, TuneEcu is more accurate than the Triumph tool. Using TuneECU you can balance them to a T (no more than an RCH difference). When using TuneECU, the number 2 is used as the master, so with any mechanical tuning, that is what I would do.

bob

Thanks a lot for the input. btw i am TMCS (ret) . Got lost here in Oklahoma, was kidnaped on my way to Charleston. we do have Airdales next to me at Tinker. Weird breed. need to be on tin can or sewer pipes.

There should be a thread on balancing the throttle bodies still floating around which gives all the instructions. It is well worth doing.

I used the search for throttle body sync-ing. only found a reference using tune ECU to check them.
I am a old Bmw & Moto Guzzi rider. Both of those bikes especially the later really benefited from a mechanical syncing the throttle bodies. I use a Twin Max to do the job.
Does anyone know which body is the master .
I have the bike in the stand for a tune up so want to check this out while I am at it.

Russ you can do it by engine vacuum I do mine since I do not use a Map sensoror the L tables
Number 2 throttle body is the master set 1 and 3 to it?

Is the center set 10 points higher for a reason ? Both my Rockets read 10 points higher for #2 cylinder.

The outer cylinders have longer lengths of vacuum line connected, and are not directly routed as the center cylinder. 10 hectopascals is a very small amount of difference. The difference in readings can be attributed to line length and routing, machining, and many other factors.

Exactly the same is not always the best answer, but most can't tell the difference.

Hey, pwer tripp, I just noticed your Boorstin quote, I use that on almost all my forums, have for years.

Back