Throttle Body Balancing... This is bad right?

slydog75

.040 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket III Classic
So I just got TuneECU working after recieving my Lonetec cable. I just got this bike 2 weeks ago. It has an intermittent high idle issue and some popping on idle as well.

This is what I found upon connecting TuneECU.. Could this be causing my issues:

Throttle_Bodies.PNG

I would be looking for a vacuum leak or three :) the easiest way is to replace all the vacuum lines. Especially if its a older bike. You don't need triumph ones typical auto store hoses and plug caps 4 if its pre roadster. Pay attention to the plastic (cheap) fitting its three small to one large that runs to the map sensor. Then look at the numbers again and adjust balance while the engine is warmed up.
Another piece of advice while you are under the tank it is to pull each low tension lead off and give it a squeeze with a pair of needle nose pliers. If your just going to think you can just check them and decide whether they need crimping or not then don't waste your time! Eventually one will fall off most often the hard one in the neck for number 1 coil.

low tension leads.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be looking for a vacuum leak or three :) the easiest way is to replace all the vacuum lines. Especially if its a older bike. You don't need triumph ones typical auto store hoses and plug caps 4 if its pre roadster. Pay attention to the plastic (cheap) fitting its three small to one large that runs to the map sensor. Then look at the numbers again and adjust balance while the engine is warmed up.
Another piece of advice while you are under the tank it is to pull each low tension lead off and give it a squeeze with a pair of needle nose pliers. If your just going to think you can just check them and decide whether they need crimping or not then don't waste your time! Eventually one will fall off most often the hard one in the neck for number 1 coil.
low tension leads.jpg

Low tension leads? Is that what your photo is showing?

@slydog75 - he's highlighting in the yellow block, the two connections to the Number 2 coil.

I recommend to you an exercise of looking for any post by @idk and follow the link in his signature block, and download the R3 manual.

Then look at the wiring diagram for you bike, find the coils, and identify the green and the pink wires going to the coil. And look in the diagram for the other two coils, then go back to the bike and identify those - THEN, heed @warp9.9 's advice, and crimp the leads slightly - so they have a better chance of staying on.

And while you're there, something else @warp9.9 showed me and I can pass to you -- you will find the Number One coil buried under the narrow part of the frame, and it is o.k. to separate the two-part bracket there, removing the part that holds items other than the coil - it's o.k. for those to float - thus easing significantly access to that coil.

And remember you're not alone. There are several Rockets within riding distance of you, and it could be helpful to gather your questions, then arrange to meet someone for a going over of your Rocket with someone who may offer the benefit of their experience.

@slydog75 - he's highlighting in the yellow block, the two connections to the Number 2 coil.

I recommend to you an exercise of looking for any post by @idk and follow the link in his signature block, and download the R3 manual.

Then look at the wiring diagram for you bike, find the coils, and identify the green and the pink wires going to the coil. And look in the diagram for the other two coils, then go back to the bike and identify those - THEN, heed @warp9.9 's advice, and crimp the leads slightly - so they have a better chance of staying on.

And while you're there, something else @warp9.9 showed me and I can pass to you -- you will find the Number One coil buried under the narrow part of the frame, and it is o.k. to separate the two-part bracket there, removing the part that holds items other than the coil - it's o.k. for those to float - thus easing significantly access to that coil.

And remember you're not alone. There are several Rockets within riding distance of you, and it could be helpful to gather your questions, then arrange to meet someone for a going over of your Rocket with someone who may offer the benefit of their experience.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:pretty soon we will all be calling you for advice:thumbsup::thumbsup:

So I just got TuneECU working after recieving my Lonetec cable. I just got this bike 2 weeks ago. It has an intermittent high idle issue and some popping on idle as well.

This is what I found upon connecting TuneECU.. Could this be causing my issues:

Throttle_Bodies.PNG

Actually these numbers are marginally acceptable. The tolerance allowed is 10 points difference. Within 10 is OK. The settings are based on cylinder #2. Cylinder 1 and 3 are adjusted to match cylinder 2. Yes balanced is much better.

Back