TriumphR3Newb

.040 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic
Hi all, finally got my rocket on the road from a long cold winter hibernation. Everything seems just fine, I replaced the TPS over the winter and balanced the throttle bodies. I now have an occasional "pop"/ backfire that seems to come from the throttle body area. I think it has happened previously but it seemed to happen more frequently out on my first ride and I think I could smell fuel once in awhile too. I am running RamAir, but no pipes yet (saving my pennies), so could it be simply the RamAir issue because no pipes and I didn't change the ECU map? Any help would be appreciated.

Vacuum lines and the 4 plug caps on the thrittle bodies. Be carefull with the plastic fitting that joins the three throttle body hoses to thr map sensor hose.your is a 07 if you haven't changed them I would anyway especially the plug caps. I didn't know mine were bad until I pulled on one ans seen the spider cracks everwhere once I stretched it. Also if you haven't tightened up the female spade connectors on the low tension leads of the coil now is a good time. Number 2 coil pictured below.

low tension leads.jpg

Mine has the odd pop back through the throttle bodies.

Did it before I put on the ramair still does it after I had the motor out for the second gear slip replacement.

Got all new plug leads and coil leads at that time.

Thanks for the help, I will take a peak and see if that might be the problem. Looks like I will be placing a little order with the Triumph dealer shortly.
Vacuum lines local parts store same with the caps. Keep the lines about the same length. It does matter that they are not formed. It the coughing is od and occasional. Mine did that also before it was built. But them little gremlins creep in. And sometimes while you trying to chase the original problem. For me it took a while to figure the low tension coil leads out as the miss wasn't consistent and I noticed the vacuum lines while I was cleanung the BOV . Its a leraning proccess any real changes in throttle body balancing migh move inital ISCV settings out if tolerance si after balancing I always run the ISCV but more like a check if its still on target voltages then there is no moving you just cycle thru and reset adaptives after its done.

Back