Throttle Adjustment Question after installing MC Cruise Control

PaddyO

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3T
Finished installing MC Cruise control on 2014 R3T this evening. Started the bike up and the throttle was way high. I had backed out the "Carburetor Cable" way out of the CIU in order to adjust the freeplay in the throttle without having to screw the throttle adjuster almost all the way out when adjusting the freeplay in the throttle. Obviously, that did not work.

Screwed in the Carburetor Cable until the idle came down to what sounds like normal. However, doing this meant backing out the throttle adjusters on the grip almost all the way out for the two cables that go into the throttle.

Is this normal? Is there another way to adjust the freeplay in the throttle without messing up the idle?

Thanks in advance for any help.

PaddyO, I only jest finished fitting the MC Cruise to my Roadster and after going through the tests and cable adjustment as per the testing instructions I had to make some small adjustments to servo cable until it was to the suggested specifications and it worked 100% right away. I did make some very small adjustment to the pull throttle cable to minimise the free travel. In all very pleased.
The test and adjustments I am referring to are on pages 49 & 50 of the fitting instruction.
Hope this helps.

Your original cables may have been somewhat out of spec before you started. While most folks would have little reason to think of it, on reflection, it's a good idea to properly adjust your cables before beginning to install the kit. My install came off pretty well, but I have been in the habit of continuously checking cable adjustments on bikes anyway.

mccruise.com
The test and adjustments I am referring to are on pages 49 & 50 of the fitting instruction.

The guys at MC Cruise will go out of their way to help, either call or email them details of you problem.
The guys at MC Cruise will go out of their way to help, either call or email them details of you problem.

I will look at the instructions and see what they say. If that does not work, I will email them and see what happens. Thanks.

Motolink, I did the adjustments per pages 49 & 50 of the manual. I also backed off the carburetor cable into the CIU just past where the idle drops to normal. I then screwed the adjusters on the throttle all the way in. I then started screwing out the two adjusters of the cables at the throttle at the same time until there was just a little play in the grip. This worked well. Thanks for the suggestion.

I took the bike out this morning on a hilly road not far from me, and the cruise control did a good job. The speed did not vary by more than 1-2 mph depending on the grade of the hill.

I did notice that when I would pull in the clutch, the engine would race a bit until the cruise control let go of the throttle.

Is that normal?

Yes, I experienced the same thing, it is mentioned in the instructions somewhere to be normal. There is a slight delay in activation of the throttle control when the clutch lever is pulled in. The proper throttle and servo cable adjustment as per the instruction and test procedure is very important and then I guess as the cables settle in there might be a readjustment necessary.
I am certainly enjoying the cruise control, it will be great during my long trips out west.

Yes, I experienced the same thing, it is mentioned in the instructions somewhere to be normal. There is a slight delay in activation of the throttle control when the clutch lever is pulled in. The proper throttle and servo cable adjustment as per the instruction and test procedure is very important and then I guess as the cables settle in there might be a readjustment necessary.
I am certainly enjoying the cruise control, it will be great during my long trips out west.

Thanks motolink. There is so much information that comes with the cruise control. I will go through it again and see what I can find.

I had a cruise control that came with my previous bike, an 09 Kawasaki Nomad. That spoiled me. I am looking forward to this one.

I know what you mean about the information, there was no shortage of it.I really only used the fitting instructions, when I am home I will have a look at which set of instruction I am referring to. After I did all the tests by pushing the buttons and adjusting the servo cable I took the bike for a ride and it all operated as it should so I did not read all the other information.

Back