This thing is falling to pieces underneath me...

Jallen3.14

Turbocharged
Ride
05 Rocket III
Wasn't able to ride all last week, so Monday afternoon I got on the Rocket and started hooning down the highway. Noticed it sounded a little off, and a thunderstorm was starting so I headed back to the barn. When I pulled off the highway I noticed it was really sounding like crap, so I pulled over to investigate.

Discovered the right pillion footpeg had taken a powder, leaving the exhaust system hanging from the left side and bouncing on the sensor wire! Bodged it together with a zip tie and took it home.

Being a Monday, I did an online parts request at both local Triumph dealers. Of course, neither had one in stock: one called on Tuesday and offered to order it (for $80!) and the other just got around to emailing this morning, offering to order it - no price specified. Sorry boys, already ordered a used one off Ebay for $20 shipped.

Meanwhile, an M8 bolt from the hardware store and a few whacks from The Rubber Mallet of Loving Correction, and I'm good to hoon solo* until the Ebay order shows up.

I'm sure glad I don't run a brick and mortar retail business in this day and age. If I did, I probably wouldn't be closed on Mondays. I'm also glad that footpeg didn't go through someone's windshield when it came off at trans sonic velocity. At least I don't think it did - I didn't hear screeching tires and the wails of the survivors. Then again, I wouldn't have over that heinous exhaust leak. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the local news and see if I'll need to also repaint the bike.

*Han Solo's long lost brother, Hoon Solo.

Wasn't able to ride all last week, so Monday afternoon I got on the Rocket and started hooning down the highway. Noticed it sounded a little off, and a thunderstorm was starting so I headed back to the barn. When I pulled off the highway I noticed it was really sounding like crap, so I pulled over to investigate.

Discovered the right pillion footpeg had taken a powder, leaving the exhaust system hanging from the left side and bouncing on the sensor wire! Bodged it together with a zip tie and took it home.

Being a Monday, I did an online parts request at both local Triumph dealers. Of course, neither had one in stock: one called on Tuesday and offered to order it (for $80!) and the other just got around to emailing this morning, offering to order it - no price specified. Sorry boys, already ordered a used one off Ebay for $20 shipped.

Meanwhile, an M8 bolt from the hardware store and a few whacks from The Rubber Mallet of Loving Correction, and I'm good to hoon solo* until the Ebay order shows up.

I'm sure glad I don't run a brick and mortar retail business in this day and age. If I did, I probably wouldn't be closed on Mondays. I'm also glad that footpeg didn't go through someone's windshield when it came off at trans sonic velocity. At least I don't think it did - I didn't hear screeching tires and the wails of the survivors. Then again, I wouldn't have over that heinous exhaust leak. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on the local news and see if I'll need to also repaint the bike.

I think I saw something about that accident this morning on Good Morning America...tragic. :D

None of the local dealers (Honda, since Triumph dealers can’t seem to stay in business anywhere near me) stock anything. They are nothing other than internet searchers. The parts still seem to take 5 business days to get here. I miss the real dealers that actually stocked parts, like washers, Springs, and valve stems for example...they no longer exist for me.

BikeBandit is so slow that if you plan to do any maintenance you better plan 2 or 3 weeks in advance. If you miss ordering some needed part, then the bike is laid up for another couple of weeks.

The only solution I have found is having two bikes...

I think I saw something about that accident this morning on Good Morning America...tragic. :D

None of the local dealers (Honda, since Triumph dealers can’t seem to stay in business anywhere near me) stock anything. They are nothing other than internet searchers. The parts still seem to take 5 business days to get here. I miss the real dealers that actually stocked parts, like washers, Springs, and valve stems for example...they no longer exist for me.

BikeBandit is so slow that if you plan to do any maintenance you better plan 2 or 3 weeks in advance. If you miss ordering some needed part, then the bike is laid up for another couple of weeks.

The only solution I have found is having two bikes...

I tried that solution... I had 2 Suzuki VL1500LCs. One has been in the shop for a year and the other hulled it's transmission just shortly after that. I'm reminded of what my flight instructor said about a multi-engine rating: "Two engines just doubles your chance of engine failure." The friend I bought the Rocket off of had, at one time, over 20 bikes. He's now down to 3 or 4. He said that the more bikes he had, the less likely it would be that one would be running at any given time. Seems counter intuitive, but I've kind of experienced the same. I do want to get back to two running bikes though - if nothing else, even a flat tire will put you down for a few days to a week and having another sled would be nice.

I will say, the older (and closer) of the two Triumph dealers in town has been pretty good so far. In the first few weeks I had the bike, I found a few little nuts and bolts that were missing or non original and they had all of them in stock, at competitive prices! None of the half dozen or so Suzuki dealers were ever that good about small parts - I always had to order them online. In fairness, I can't expect them to stock an entire replacement bike's worth of parts, for the lowest selling bike in the line.

Speaking of Bike Bandit - that's one I used to use, and is my go to for looking up OEM part numbers on fiche. They usually had a good stock of Suzuki parts, but I noticed they warned that Triumph parts would be several days slower. Is there a forum approved online parts vendor? Hopefully one that supports the site and even offers a discount to members?

Thanks, good to know. At first glance looking up parts on their website is a hot mess - they don't even show the 05 model year Rocket. I'll check them out with the specific part number though, next time I need something.

I do ya dealer other than KTM has had anything in stock recently I’ve been too.

Sad state really, as soon as they hop on the computer I leave, I can finder cheaper and with faster shipping on my own...

I got it....i didn't even need the footnote...:thumbsup:

No bricks and mortar shop likes to keep to many part's these days as the part might sit on the shelf too long, money just sitting there, easier and cheaper just tell tell you your part will arrive sometime next week. it's the same where I work, in the warehouse they don't even stock many nut's and bolt's anymore you have to order them. sign of the times.

Thanks, good to know. At first glance looking up parts on their website is a hot mess - they don't even show the 05 model year Rocket. I'll check them out with the specific part number though, next time I need something.
Do not limit yourself. Just Google the part number and check a few sites for prices and details you soon get a good idea of which ones are reliable, cheap, and more accurate, BUT all can have listing errors and hence a check of a few sources every time can prevent disappointment or provide huge bargains. I find stuff all the time 20-30% off or even 60-70% off RRP at some dealers or NOS eBay listings etc.

Also the 'No longer available', 'discontinued' or 'obsolete' do pop up often, with some like Bike Bandit just forget about it isn't really available through them at all, after you order, wait 3-4 weeks and then get the Credit Card charge reversed.

BUT some times to your amazement with other listers they do exist, often at bargain prices!:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I do ya dealer other than KTM has had anything in stock recently I’ve been too.
Sad state really, as soon as they hop on the computer I leave, I can finder cheaper and with faster shipping on my own...
That there is EFFECT and CAUSE all in one. Why bother stocking when nobody is going to pay your stocking costs?.

I don't know how it is there - but here I can find pretty much anything online. Here drop shipping has not yet taken hold - but it will come. This is fine if you KNOW what it is exactly - but for anything you need/want to see first it has become a serious issue. Nobody stocks. Even quite major stores only keep high turnover OR "sale or return" goods.

Oddly one of the few bike related places near me that keeps stock is the Harley dealer - and "weirdly" very often the genuine part is cheaper than the "Drag Specialties" or similar aftermarket copy. I am told this is a concerted aim of HD Europe.

Back