THIS MAY HAVE BEEN ALREADY COVERED SOMEWHERE, BUT.....

Fishbein

Supercharged
Ride
Rocket III Touring 2014 (previously 2008)
I was wondering if anyone thinks that higher octane gas improves the performance of your Rocket III. I have the Touring and it says to use 87 octane, I believe, and that's all I've used. If it improved performance or was advantageous in some other way I might try a higher octane, but I assume it won't make much difference. Any thoughts?

I only use premium in mine, probably a waste of money on my part, but with the few upgrades I have on it, PC III, Jardines, GiPro ATRE and the way I ride most of the time I feel the extra octane may help, but I may be FOS! I may reduce the octane level and see if it makes any difference.

Native one

NativeOne said:
I only use premium in mine, probably a waste of money on my part, but with the few upgrades I have on it, PC III, Jardines, GiPro ATRE and the way I ride most of the time I feel the extra octane may help, but I may be FOS! I may reduce the octane level and see if it makes any difference.

Native one

Ok, took a while, but now I got the FOS. I like that one. I guess I'll have to do a little trial and error, and maybe deceive myself a little too.

JDuke1980 said:
I use 87. I might put 89 in it occassionally, but not too often, I don't want to spoil her.

Smart man, so that's how you treat your girls, eh...don't want them to get used to it so when you give her the 89, she says "Oh, Duke, you shouldn't have!"

CrazyTed said:
The only thing higher octane fuel does is slow the burn rate of the fuel. This is helpful if you have higher compression and are experiencing detonation/pinging. If you don't have detonation or pinging, you are wasting your money. I build offroad race bike motors and can't believe the number of people who spend $18 a gallon for special race fuel. No reason for it at all.

Of course you mean "pre-detonation" since without detonation an internal combustion engine wouldn't be of much use. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

CrazyTed is spot on. You are waisting $$$ on premium fuel especially since most newer engines monitor for pre-detonation and adjust for it via the ECU.

CrazyTed said:
The only thing higher octane fuel does is slow the burn rate of the fuel. This is helpful if you have higher compression and are experiencing detonation/pinging. If you don't have detonation or pinging, you are wasting your money. I build offroad race bike motors and can't believe the number of people who spend $18 a gallon for special race fuel. No reason for it at all.

Ok, thanks for the tip. I haven't tried it yet, and I guess I won't then. I use it for my car b/c it requires it:ACURA RSX type s

I haven't tried it in my Rocket III T yet, but maybe I won't bother now. I was curious, but that's good, I'll save $. I can feel the difference in my car, which requires it, anytime I go on the cheap less than 91 octane.

I've logged over 20,000 miles on my Rockets and have only ever run 87. I log every mile and ounce of fuel. Never noticed a difference performance-wise and only negligible improvement in fuel economy. BOTH, however, are subjective.

I also took the argument that there was a greater chance of getting bum fuel 'cause most filling stations don't sell as much of the higher grades of fuel; therefore the fuel sits in their tank much longer.

I do, however, buy only Shell, Exxon, Texaco, and Chevron (though who knows what's really in their tanks) I never buy CITGO 'cause I ain't supporting Chavez.

gR3yWolf said:
I've logged over 20,000 miles on my Rockets and have only ever run 87. I log every mile and ounce of fuel. Never noticed a difference performance-wise and only negligible improvement in fuel economy. BOTH, however, are subjective.

I also took the argument that there was a greater chance of getting bum fuel 'cause most filling stations don't sell as much of the higher grades of fuel; therefore the fuel sits in their tank much longer.

I do, however, buy only Shell, Exxon, Texaco, and Chevron (though who knows what's really in their tanks) I never buy CITGO 'cause I ain't supporting Chavez.

Didn't know, I'll avoid Citgo for now on.

Back