Thinking I need a Rocket

mcather

Supercharged
Ride
08 GL1800, 13 R3T, 80 LTD 1000, 70 BSA Lightning
Hi Gang,

I’m a big Brit Bike fan and own a ’03 Speedy since new and an old ’70 BSA Lightning that’s in storage. I also own an ’80 LTD 1000 and ride mostly my (bought new) ’08 Goldwing. The GW is great for what it does but I have some comfort/neck problems with the bike, which some riders never work out, of whom I’m one. I don’t get the pains on my Speedy. I'm thinking of selling my Speedmaster and getting a newer and different cruiser.

I really like the Rockets in all flavors and have test rode the newer Roadster and R3T. Of the two, I liked the R3T best as far as comfort and style. Can the R3T be tuned up to the Classic power? Does this affect reliability?
Locally there’s an ’08 Rocket classic for sale that I might check out. MY thought is I’ll save some money and add some things such as bags and windscreen. Minuses are no warranty and less peace of mind. There are 3 dealers in my area so that’s great. I’m also considering a Stratoliner but haven’t test rode one but love the feel of the bike on the showroom floor.

Any thoughts well appreciated. Here’s the target:
2008 Triumph Rocket III Classic Cruiser Council Bluffs IA - Dillon's Auto

Cat

The easy answer is "yes" to all of your queries.

The Tourer/Touring can accept most/all of the performance mods for the Standard/Classic/Roadster. The "T" is simply tuned differently from the factory. You'd just go through a few extra of those skinny rear tires if you cranked up the HP above 200.

The Standard/Classic/Roadster can be fitted with all the accessories to make it a "bagger", and if I wanted a touring bike, I'd do it that way. You have more options available, although the cost would likely end up being more than if you bought the "T" model of the bike to begin with.

I went from a Speedmaster to an R3 and couldn't even imagine going back.

MarvinM

R3t

I tried both, and I liked the sitting position of the R3T better, the fact that I could "retune" it to a roadster level, cinched it for me, but to each their own.

Yes you need a rocket!!. in fact i will sell you mine since there is one waiting for me in Asheville NC!:D

thanks for the tips, guys. i guess i'm too old and grizzly to be embarrassed and i honestly don't know of any wing riders who are embarrassed. twist the wick and smile. now if the monster tipped over in the parking lot at work, i might be... 'cause the wing is a heavy sob.

i also rode a Tbird and it was okay but the bike seemed slower than my speedy. maybe it's power to weight ratio or something or i rode a dog. it had a windshield and man was there buffeting on that bike. it wasn't as comfy as the R3T. and all the rockets are beautiful bikes but i prefer the blacked out engines.

on a separate note, i been noticing the bat wing thing is popular on some rides, so one of those is off the table. if it's popular, that eliminates it for me.

thanks again,

cat:D

thanks for the tips, guys. i guess i'm too old and grizzly to be embarrassed and i honestly don't know of any wing riders who are embarrassed. twist the wick and smile. now if the monster tipped over in the parking lot at work, i might be... 'cause the wing is a heavy sob.

i also rode a Tbird and it was okay but the bike seemed slower than my speedy. maybe it's power to weight ratio or something or i rode a dog. it had a windshield and man was there buffeting on that bike. it wasn't as comfy as the R3T. and all the rockets are beautiful bikes but i prefer the blacked out engines.

on a separate note, i been noticing the bat wing thing is popular on some rides, so one of those is off the table. if it's popular, that eliminates it for me.

thanks again,

cat:D

mate, with due respect a wing vs a rocket....Its a bit like comparing masturbating to sex. YOu think its great till you try it with a girl. Riding a wing...it aint riding till you try it with a rocket.

Now before you get narky about my comment, hop on a rocket and experience it. Once you stop smiling you know it is time to trade in for a new rocket.

Back