Thinking about getting a new R3 GT...

ChicagoRocket

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph Rocket 3 R Chrome Edition
Hi Gang,

Been awhile. I am seriously considering getting a new R3GT. The one I am going to look at has heated grips, cruise. No quickshifter.

I would be trading my 2020 BMW R1250RS Exclusive. I love the beemer, but I miss having a cruiser. I have a 2016 Honda Repsol 1000RR as well, so I still get my performance kicks from a light weight animal whenever I want.

The dealer is only willing to go down 500 bucks on the rocket, but is giving me top dollar trade on my brand new BMW. Just curious if anyone has gotten a decent deal on one.

Hope all of you are staying healthy and safe!

Please let me know your thoughts.

Why should a dealer give you a huge discount on a bike, which is

- actually completely new on the market
- actually wanted all over the world

At the end of the day it's the complete package that counts - when he gives you top dollar on the BMW, who cares for the discount? You must have a target what amount of money you want to pay for the upgrade - if this fits, then who cares for the direction it's coming from?

I had this last year when looking for my X-ADV - the discount on the bike was ridiculous, but the amount of money the dealer gave me for my old scooter was so incredibly high, that we did the trade...

Well my biggest thoughts on a discount was the state of the world right now...rona virus. Not too many people looking at spending 22k on a motorcycle in the states right now. But I understand what you mean...it looks like they have been selling well too.

Good morning Brother and welcome back.

Yes to your question that a couple have gotten good deals on the 2020 bikes. Hopefully the specific brothers will explain their situation better than I can from memory.

One of you statements above caught my attention when you said you miss having a cruiser. The GT is more akin to your RS than it is a cruiser I think. I have been blasted already for stating I would wait till Triumph comes out with a new R3T by wanting the Rocket to be a Barcalounger. Obviously the 2020 R3R and R3GT are far from laid back cruiser ergonomics but have the ability to move pegs around some to fit the individual rider better. Customizing always seems to be our way with bikes.

I test rode both a few weeks ago and the GT is my personal choice of the two and the heated grips is quite nice. I didn't get a chance to use the Cruise Control but it looks to be in the right place for my thumb.

I think your idea holds water with keeping the Repsol for its uniqueness and having a bigger big for its own purpose. Variety is the spice of life...

Variety is the spice of life...

Indeed it is... been telling people that for years...

@ChicagoRocket , my experience has been that one way dealerships (be it bike or cage) provide you that added incentive/discount is through giving you top dollar or even over-valuing your trade-in. Sounds like you may already be on your way to the best deal... especially if they drop that another $500. Sometimes it's all about perception for both the buyer and the salesman who has a boss to answer to.
-MIG

Surely a dealer has to consider which bike he wants sitting in his shop as stock on the floor...and at what the asking price is on that bike. If he pays a high tradein price then there is no room for him to move down, should he need to in order to move that bike later on...should it be proving difficult to sell.
If you have an offer of a good trade in price PLUS a drop in the asking price on the new bike...thats a good deal.
I ordered my new GT at the start of Feb this year and traded my 2016 Roadster then..the trade price was lower than i wanted and the price on the new GT was the set Triumph advertised price...plus on road costs...eg Registration and WOF. (I'm in NZ)
I signed the deal and am sitting back and waiting for the bike to hit our shores and with the current situation with the virus going on, my bike might still be a while arriving.
I think you have a good deal going there and the dealer is getting a 2020 bike to have sitting on his floor so he will be happy too.

well gang, i rode her for 45 minutes yesterday...VERY IMPRESSED! I made an offer and left...today they have accepted! I pick her up tomorrow. Only one question...how do I get the quickshifter? Is it a triumph part? Hard to install on the GT? Here are some pics.

CONGRATS on our new edition!!! :thumbsup:
-MIG

Back