Thermostat removal

Veneficus

Standard Bore
Ride
R3 touring (08)
Hi all, i am just wondering if anyone has removed the thermostat without taking the oil tank off? if so, it would be great to get any tips!

08 Touring.

I know this is an old thread - I just removed and replaced the T/Stat twice in the last week.

You say why twice - well the thermostat supplied by Triumph was 2C hotter than the one I removed - was running at 91/92C cool weather under little load and I will not accept that crap.

So I have now fitted a 82C Tridon Hi-Flo Thermostat PN: TT2003-180.

I did have to remove some machining flash from the inside of the thermostat seat in the head with a dramel.

You can remove and replace the thermostat without removing the oil tank - ask me how I know.

IMG_0334 (1).JPG

The std offset triumph thermostat (TOP) vs Tridon TT2003-180 Hi-Flo offering.

Obvious size difference - should work well in our summer heat.

Well I did query this myself and the service manager at Triumph said that it should run at 84/85C which is why I changed my thermostat in the first place. The problem I had was that in the higher ambient temps over here it was running much more than the suggested temps at 91/92C at cruise and under load would run upto +94C. Little or no margin for the hot ambient temps - the bike and I were getting cooked. It was a simple choice for me, which is why I went for a 82C thermostat it gives me more margin in the high ambient temps here.
By the way my engine used to run at 88C gradually it crept up to 90C over time and would not come down below that whilst a very short WOT run it would climb - thermostat was sticking or not fully opening enough to regulate higher temps. This is why it was changed in the first place, upon installing a new Original Equipment Thermostat it was running 91/92C straight up (the new thermostat was stamped 88C - this is what prompted me to throw it out.

If you are happy running at those temps I don't see a problem at all maybe in a cooler climate it might work for you however for me I am happy now, a few degrees cooler to begin with, will provide me with more margin during those stinking hot days where the road temps are well above 50C. I do expect the engine will run in the mid to high 80C range even with the lower temp thermostat fitted - will see after I have had a long run with it installed.

Last edited:
The result is that it takes a bit longer to warm up but at lower ambient temps the motor runs along at 86-87dec C in the higher temps it runs at about 90-91C I have also fitted a 32mm core radiator as well as a majority of my running is done in summer months where our ambient temps are well into the 30+C range.

So the cooling temps are better now with the lower temp Tstat and the larger radiator very happy with it.

The engine is thanking me as well.

Back