Thee ole' fast idle trick again

Rocket Scientist

Grand Exulted Poobah
Ride
Black 05' Rocket III standard
Has anyone had one of the TPS's with the blue guts (the new and improved version) fail ? Mine has started doing the 2 grand idle thing again. Only seems to do it at start up. I hooked up tuneboy and watched the throttle position as I turned the key on and off. It takes awhile because you have to give tuneboy time to reconnect each time. Most of the time the throttle position would show "0". Once in awhile it would show .7, sometimes 1.1 . Mind you I'm not touching the throttle or even starting the engine. I still don't know how the idle stepper decides on a starting position. If I take the stepper motor off and turn on the key, it keeps cycling back and forth. If I just touch the throttle then it stops moving. I assume it's looking for a certain amount of change in the TPS voltage. When the key is turned on and the throttle position reads "0" the stepper "target" is usually around 175. When the throttle position decides to go to 1.1, the stepper target is around 350. Almost like it sets itself twice. I suppose a bad TPS could cause this. The one I have is about 3 years old. It has the blue guts. I disassembled the stepper motor and made sure everything moved freely and had lube. I cleaned and lubed the all the linkage. Cleaned the crank position sensor. Any thoughts ?

Back