The Slippery Slope - CES Racing Headers

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
This site has been a bad influence....

Although I really do like the looks of the stock header, the quest for “more, more , more” eventually took me down the custom header path. I finally settled on the 2 ¼ diameter header and exhaust system from CES Racing Systems. I like the design, now even more than stock, and the availability of heat shields really sealed the deal for me.

I was impressed with how quickly CES responded to my initial email and that they quickly answered all of my questions, sent pictures, etc. They seemed really stoked to have my business, and we probably exchanged over a dozen emails.

Once I was ready to order, they had the header I wanted in stock (they also make a 1 ¾” version to take stock-sized mufflers, btw), but I need a longer 22” muffler to work with my saddle bags, so they had to custom make that part. Oh, I thought, OK, here we go… the wait, but just 23 days later, from Australia to the US, and I had my pipes!

Installation- less than 30 minutes- perfect fit! Nothing more to add here, but easy.

The Tune- OK, here’s where being a part of this group is so great. I reached out to Clavinger who sent me a tune he did for 1olbull. We had a similar setup, except that instead of Ramair I have K&Ns. The tune, btw, is on the new TUNEECU website that Claviger runs.

So, I loaded it and it ran like a bat out of Hades, but the popping and backfiring was more than I could put up with. Further reading here led me to play with the fueling tables, then with no joy, I finally took note of advice that it was likely due to an exhaust or intake leak, and that was spot on. It turned out that my O2 sensor bung wasn’t completely sealed. I would suggest that if you’ve just changed your exhaust, in any way, and are experiencing excessive popping and backfiring on decel that you have a leak that needs plug’n. Don’t always assume, like I did, that it’s the tune.

So, I have to give a huge shout out here to @1olbull and @Claviger for sharing that tune. She’s never run smoother throughout the range, or torquer/faster. It’s a very, very, noticeable difference.

So, now more than a week later, and I’m thinking some of those Lush street cams might be, really, “finally,” all that I’ll ever need....... What I need is an intervention.

To hear 'em I put together a video I shot on my way to work. They're about as loud as my TORs and PB crossover, but with a distinctive growl that comes alive on hard throttle and decel. Just right.

CES.jpg

Yep, definitely the CES sound. Bikes sounds good and healthy.

Glad it all worked for you!

The street cams seem like a good easy drop in upgrade, haven't had the opportunity to do a set yet, might soon though.

This site has been a bad influence....

Although I really do like the looks of the stock header, the quest for “more, more , more” eventually took me down the custom header path. I finally settled on the 2 ¼ diameter header and exhaust system from CES Racing Systems. I like the design, now even more than stock, and the availability of heat shields really sealed the deal for me.

I was impressed with how quickly CES responded to my initial email and that they quickly answered all of my questions, sent pictures, etc. They seemed really stoked to have my business, and we probably exchanged over a dozen emails.

Once I was ready to order, they had the header I wanted in stock (they also make a 1 ¾” version to take stock-sized mufflers, btw), but I need a longer 22” muffler to work with my saddle bags, so they had to custom make that part. Oh, I thought, OK, here we go… the wait, but just 23 days later, from Australia to the US, and I had my pipes!

Installation- less than 30 minutes- perfect fit! Nothing more to add here, but easy.

The Tune- OK, here’s where being a part of this group is so great. I reached out to Clavinger who sent me a tune he did for 1olbull. We had a similar setup, except that instead of Ramair I have K&Ns. The tune, btw, is on the new TUNEECU website that Claviger runs.

So, I loaded it and it ran like a bat out of Hades, but the popping and backfiring was more than I could put up with. Further reading here led me to play with the fueling tables, then with no joy, I finally took note of advice that it was likely due to an exhaust or intake leak, and that was spot on. It turned out that my O2 sensor bung wasn’t completely sealed. I would suggest that if you’ve just changed your exhaust, in any way, and are experiencing excessive popping and backfiring on decel that you have a leak that needs plug’n. Don’t always assume, like I did, that it’s the tune.

So, I have to give a huge shout out here to @1olbull and @Claviger for sharing that tune. She’s never run smoother throughout the range, or torquer/faster. It’s a very, very, noticeable difference.

So, now more than a week later, and I’m thinking some of those Lush street cams might be, really, “finally,” all that I’ll ever need....... What I need is an intervention.

To hear 'em I put together a video I shot on my way to work. They're about as loud as my TORs and PB crossover, but with a distinctive growl that comes alive on hard throttle and decel. Just right.

CES.jpg
I just love my CES system! So well made, fit like a tailored suit!

Regarding cams, this may seem like it doesn’t make sense, but changing the intake and exhaust like you have naturally moves the torque up in the rpm range where it’s more fun! Just cams at the point you are at wouldn’t be worth doing. Not if it was my money anyway.

Also, knowing what you want first regarding performance will lead you to any future engine work. After this point, more power costs much more per hp.

Indeed, as Jhveli mentions, avoid doing things twice. Pick a goal, and build to it.

The street cams should give a moderate bump in torque across the RPM range.

Get real power ask Neville for the high compression pistons and a big cam to match. You’ll be done.

You saw my Rocket run.;)

Get real power ask Neville for the high compression pistons and a big cam to match. You’ll be done.

You saw my Rocket run.;)

Yeah, run right around me ;)

That's the big question that determines which cams, if any, to go with sometime down the road- hc pistons, or no pistons and the street cams like @sonny has, which from his description might be all that I "need."

I was lucky to get that tune to go with this setup, so a big concern would be that any further change and I'd definitely need to find a tuner and there is no one close by.

You don't hear much about the CES headers on this forum, but I know that there are a minority out there that run them and love 'em. The heat shields are just one feature, besides the look, that I really like. They aren't excessively hot, btw, but there is a difference. Also, last check I did and my mpg hasn't really changed, which tells me that even with added hp, she's actually running more efficiently now.

Back