the opposite of highway pegs on a Roadster...

bobsyouruncle

Lapsed Brit
Ride
2014 Rocket III Roadster
I've never owned a cruiser before. I've had the most experience on standard type bikes. As I get better acquainted with my Roadster, I'm noticing that I'm putting my feet as far back as I can get them on the stock pegs when I'm not in the act of shifting or braking. If only I could put them a few inches further back still, I'd be able to lean into the wind above 60 mph and be a lot more comfortable. With my arms stretched out to the handlebars, I feel like a sail in the wind. With my feet all the way forward, I get discomfort in my hips and lower back.

As the exact opposite of those who put a set of highway pegs on their front crash bars to stretch out their legs, has anyone mounted an extra set of pegs behind the stock ones on a Roadster? I don't think moving the controls would be an easy option, given the ABS plumbing. But since shifting at highway speeds is such a rare event with so much torque, I'd like to be able to rest my feet a little bit rearward on the longer stretches of highway. I realize that this probably sounds heretical to all of you feet-forward guys. My dream would be a bike with the ergonomics of my Tiger 800 and the muscle of the R3R. That's not likely to happen in this lifetime, but maybe an extra set of pegs to the aft might help on my rides through the mountains.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

PS - one other thing I've noticed as I get a feel for riding the beast is that steep hills are entirely irrelevant to my rapid forward progress :)

Here's where I ended up earlier this evening, overlooking Utah Lake. It's at the top of a pretty twisty (plenty of switchbacks) road.

IMG_1279.jpg

Raask makes a set of rearsets for the Rocket. I don't know if it's compatible with the Roadster because of the anti lock brakes, but I'm sure it could be made to work.

There's one rocket out there that appears to be used for racing that appears to have moved the foot controls to more of a sport bike position, but I haven't seen any others.

Have you thought about bar risers and a small windscreen to break the wind? I would think that would put in a more standard riding position and be heck of a lot cheaper.

There's one rocket out there that appears to be used for racing that appears to have moved the foot controls to more of a sport bike position, but I haven't seen any others.

Have you thought about bar risers and a small windscreen to break the wind? I would think that would put in a more standard riding position and be heck of a lot cheaper.

Good point - I've considered both and may well go in that direction. I don't like the look of a large windshield, but maybe one of those MRA Racing Screens might work. I've read good things on the forum about the risers, too. I've previously put risers on a Speed Triple and my Tiger 800 with good results.

"one other thing I've noticed as I get a feel for riding the beast is that steep hills are entirely irrelevant to my rapid forward progress :)
"Hill ..... what hill!!!!:whitstling:
Putting even small screen will take a lot of air pressure of the body, I have seen one bike that actually used some of the clamp on type pillion pegs behind the main pegs but that was on a Standard not a Roadster but be worth trying
pillion pegs.gif

I put the Rivco boards on for my wife, and then the relocation brackets for her. I can now swing my feet back on them for a little different riding style. Might be what you are looking for, and make the Mrs happy too!

I've never owned a cruiser before. I've had the most experience on standard type bikes. As I get better acquainted with my Roadster, I'm noticing that I'm putting my feet as far back as I can get them on the stock pegs when I'm not in the act of shifting or braking. If only I could put them a few inches further back still, I'd be able to lean into the wind above 60 mph and be a lot more comfortable. With my arms stretched out to the handlebars, I feel like a sail in the wind. With my feet all the way forward, I get discomfort in my hips and lower back.

As the exact opposite of those who put a set of highway pegs on their front crash bars to stretch out their legs, has anyone mounted an extra set of pegs behind the stock ones on a Roadster? I don't think moving the controls would be an easy option, given the ABS plumbing. But since shifting at highway speeds is such a rare event with so much torque, I'd like to be able to rest my feet a little bit rearward on the longer stretches of highway. I realize that this probably sounds heretical to all of you feet-forward guys. My dream would be a bike with the ergonomics of my Tiger 800 and the muscle of the R3R. That's not likely to happen in this lifetime, but maybe an extra set of pegs to the aft might help on my rides through the mountains.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

PS - one other thing I've noticed as I get a feel for riding the beast is that steep hills are entirely irrelevant to my rapid forward progress :)

Here's where I ended up earlier this evening, overlooking Utah Lake. It's at the top of a pretty twisty (plenty of switchbacks) road.

IMG_1279.jpg
I use the RIVCO HIWAY pegs made for the GOLDWING on my Roadster they mount on the peg rails and are fully adjustable and very well made

Ah yes, up Squaw Peak road to the lookout area. Nice ride. Too bad I'm not in Utah county any more! (up in the Ogden area) It's very rare for me to see another RIII.
Lots of guys in this forum know their stuff so it's a good place to post such questions. Not a mod I've done myself.
If you come up with a solution you like, let us know about it & drop some pics. :)

I have the boards in back am seriously considering taking the old pegs and just moving them to the back of the current foot peg runners. I have a bar riser and a windscreen, but still would rather sit instead of sprawl

Back