The Old Guy knows his Triumphs

DJ

Bob Ewell fell on his Knife.
Ride
2007 R3 Classic
The Old guy knew the Rocket 3
I'm walking up to my Rocket at a local hardware store when an "old guy" 70 to 80 years old wearing a fedora hat, slacks and coat, with wife (equally dressed) in his arm walks by.
Without missing a step he says "that's a Triumph Rocket 3 the torque-est engine made, a very nice bike." I don't even have a chance to say thanks.

I watch him walk across the street, and he and his wife walk into a restaurant for what I assume to be their Sunday evening meal out.

It was an amazing 5 seconds. He was not boasting he knew motorcycles, just mater of fact it's a nice bike.

I do hope when I'm his age I am half as sharp as he is.

As they say-old guys rule!

Dan

Honestly other bike owners would weep if they knew just how many compliments and positive comments Rockets generate .. had mine since January 2009 and it's never stopped .. just about every time we head out someone comments on the Rocket. Triumph really don't play this in their advertising .. perhaps they just don't realise.

Same here 80 % of the time when parked there's always questions asked about the bike . One time I was just about to ride off when's this guy about 6' 6" came bounding towards me ,grabbed me by the shoulder ,he was a russian guy and he couldn't speak English .he juSt wanted his lady that was with him to take a photo of him sitting on the bike. Phew I'm glad I got that sorted

If Triumph plugged the fact that we get some much attention, we'd get less attention. Last thing I want is for Rockets to be popular.

Had a real heart warming moment this morning riding to work. Big SUV with dark tinted windows pulled alongside. After a few seconds I noticed the rear window go down but at first I couldn't see anyone in the back seat. Then this little face appears; a kid about 5 I guess, looks at me and smiles. I wave at him and pull ahead. Then the car comes up beside me again and this kids looking at me again, so I wave again. A little further on and the car pulls down an exit ramp and I see this little hand come out the window waving like mad and the biggest smile you've ever seen. Made my day.

That little kid was me ... 10 or 11 years old watching the FINKS roar past my parents car through the traffic on the Gold Coast. Triumphs and Nortons mainly .. i'll never forget that. Didn't wave though

I get waved at, people roll down their windows all the time to give me positive comments. An older gentleman approached me at a bike show on the weekend, 75yrs. old, told me all about his old Bonnie's, LOVED the monster compared to the Harley's and Honda's I was parked beside, I told him he could buy a 2014 Bonnie, and his face just lit up, he was just so in love with the Triumph logo...guess it brought back a lot of good memories for him, I was equally entertained listening to his stories as well.

Yup ... rarely come back to the bike without someone giving it the once over and lost count a long time ago how many elderly gents come and regall stories of old good times of their Triumphs, Vincents etc ... then watch their jaw drop after they ask "how big is the motor" and I answer.

Same on this side of the pond...I rarely take the girl out and not get some comment or other. We pulled into a place a couple days ago a 20 something kid made the mistake of presuming that because I'm an old fart he had license to tell me how he would change the paint, accessories, why HD was a better investment, etc...and he rides a lot (3000 miles in four years). I politely listen for a minute or so and then told him I would whip his a$$ on or off the bike. He promptly straddled his sportster and rode away. Most comments are positive, but I do get the occasional dickhead

As the others have written I too get many comments, all have been positive with many smiles.
Most just have no idea what the heck it is, or how big the motor really is. It is quite interesting to watch the faces of people who think its a "Harley", then I explain that a Harley has about 90 HP and this has over 140 HP.

Back