The Lithium Battery debate.

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
Stumbled on this yesterday.
Not Cheap but also rather honest regarding equivalent Lead Acid expectations.
May not be available outside the EU (in fact may be awkward outside Germany)
Lithium Powerbloc

EXCLUSIVELY A123Systems LiFePO4.

The new developed Lithium Powerbloc can be used in different applications.
Thanks to state-of-the-art of lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) technology, the highly safe Lithium Powerbloc battery is ideally suited for use in powerful sports vehicles with 2- or 4-cylinder motors up to 1500 cc capacity.

Due to the high performance the Lithium POwerbloc will be fully charged within 45 minutes.

As a rule, 15 minutes is all you need to approach 90% of rated capacity using a 20 A charging current -just a fraction of up to the 14 hours which the usual type of lead batteries normally require.

In view of the absence of any memory effects with lithium batteries and regular, balanced discharging/charging of all cells, the Powerbloc models designed for a -30 to + 850C operating temperature range provide absolutely dependable starter services for up to 10 years. Particularly in micro and mild hybrids, the Powerblocs also ensure an excellent start/stop performance even in winter.

If not needed for a lengthy period, the extremely low self-discharge of a max. 1% to 2% per month also enables the Powerbloc batteries to be stored to the exclusion of any quality losses for a number of years at temperatures between -40 and +100 0C.

But maybe for those in colder climes.

Another German A123 LiFePO4 battery mfr.

Starterbatterien

Sorry but it's all in German.

Their PRO-S solution is RUDDY expensive but has OVER and UNDER charge protection as well as a BMS (balancer) - This could well be a reason why some bikes blow up batteries - If they charge over 14.4V.

My ex-Harley charged at about 14.6 iirc. Must check the Guzzi as I think it has a 14.5V regulator. The original was 12.8V which is useless for Lithium Batteries.

Stumbled on this yesterday.
Not Cheap but also rather honest regarding equivalent Lead Acid expectations.
May not be available outside the EU (in fact may be awkward outside Germany)
Lithium Powerbloc

EXCLUSIVELY A123Systems LiFePO4.

But maybe for those in colder climes.

The information sheet states operating temps down to -30C. I would sure love to test one of these units...

Me too - I am counting my pennies.

I didn't see a price on the web site, how much are they asking? I get over to Deutschland frequently (we have a plant in Schweinfurt) and often and the logistics are therefore not a problem.

I had a Shorai in my Sprint ST 1050. The battery was super light weight and started the bike quickly when it was warm outside. When it got to 40 F or below, it was awful! They even sent me a replacement battery because of the starting problems I had. Didn't make a difference, still was very hard to get enough power out of it to start.
I'll stick with AGM! YMMV

Last edited:
Back