The big question for 2009 Riders!!!!!!?????

Freightbusters

Supercharged
Ok here it is.......For those long range riders that do 300 to 600 miles a day? say for a week etc....]

How do you do it??

Are you taking breaks every 100 miles? Can you tell me how the heck you can do it . Is this all interstate riding at 80 an hour??

Now maybe I am out of shape and theres metal in my knees and my butt side is thin .......How do I plan that trip accross the country???

Freightbuster not bustin no more...

Freightbuster,

I use a re-upholstered seat (with gel inserts) and a sheepskin butt pad. I don't think its as good as a Russell Daylong saddle but its comfy enough to go 150-160 miles between gas refill stops.

I also reckon floorboards make it more comfortable than pegs.

Good luck

I have the Russell Daylong and it can't be beat for comfort in my opinion. Rode 890 miles the first day I had it and I felt great when I got off the bike. It is very ugly and very expensive but it works very well.

Also to second what Tony said, my bike is a standard and I installed the Classic floorboards which helped alot in the comfort department. Not only are your feet lower
(which should help those knees), but you can move your feet all over the boards to change position. I also have Hiway pegs on my crash bars to reposition my feet when needed. The boards do touch ground a little earlier than the pegs but I've got a Sprint for the sporty stuff.

With the above set-up I have no trouble riding the 180 - 200 miles between fuel stops in one stretch.

Hope this helps, Lonnie

I have the Russell Daylong and it can't be beat for comfort in my opinion. Rode 890 miles the first day I had it and I felt great when I got off the bike. It is very ugly and very expensive but it works very well.

Also to second what Tony said, my bike is a standard and I installed the Classic floorboards which helped alot in the comfort department. Not only are your feet lower
(which should help those knees), but you can move your feet all over the boards to change position. I also have Hiway pegs on my crash bars to reposition my feet when needed. The boards do touch ground a little earlier than the pegs but I've got a Sprint for the sporty stuff.

With the above set-up I have no trouble riding the 180 - 200 miles between fuel stops in one stretch.

Hope this helps, Lonnie

Ditto on that. The Russell seat can be had in a couple of different coverings though. Lonnie has the small diamonds and I have the crescent . . so does snuff (I think). Ive only put about 500 miles on mine but it made a big difference. I used to have the touring seat with a backrest from Triumph but . . nothing like the day long. The 750 miles in one day from Eureka Springs back to Florida convinced me I needed the day long.

I guess I'm just into the ride. I've never worried about the seat, I've ridden a Harley SoftTail Standard on a long trip.. lol I just ride a long looking at interesting things, which tends to keep my mind more on the ride, and less on my butt I guess.. lol.. :)

Usually, I avoid interstates at all cost because there's just so much more to see on the back roads and highways. Interstates are BORING.. :rolleyes: Of course, sometimes you can't avoid them.

I usually take a small break at gas stops, grabbing a bottle of water and a candy bar or something. I'll take a good break for lunch also. Since you're riding a Triumph, you'll meet atleast one or two people on these little breaks, so sometimes the breaks take longer than planned.

It really helps me to have someone riding with me, wether a passenger, or someone riding also.. When I have a buddy riding with me, we both (atleast I do.. lol) tend to enjoy the trip more. I really enjoyed our little group ride from Texas to RAA III.. :) You're able to share experiences along the way, etc, which makes the trip much more enjoyable.

windscreen

This is the first bike I have had with a windscreen and I think that helps a bunch (I am not as tough as scotinexile!:D). I have a standard seat and road pegs so I can go the distance of the tank 150-200 miles. I think shocks will be my next add.

No doubt that riding with others makes the trip more enjoyable.:) Hopefully Danno and the KC boys would agree:eek:.

super slab sucks. Riding curvier roads with more to see makes the miles go by faster. Earplugs and a full face helmet help also. So does gear keeping enough wind off you to keep from tiring you too much.
Boredom is a killer. Being able to move around on the seat and taking some of the weight off your ass by pulling up on the bars a little helps too. Gold Bond powder is also your friend.
I've gone almost 300 miles without getting off my bike when I had a BMW GS Adventure. Before you say something about that bike being comfy....the seat on that ****ed thing looked like it came off of a Sea Doo. It was not good.

while I'm no Iron Butt, I've done 800 mile days and 1500 mile weekends.

Freightbuster... gel insert and a sheepskin butt pad. I don't think its as good as a Russell Daylong...I also reckon floorboards make it more comfortable than pegs...Good luck
A gel pad and floor boards make a major difference, imo.

...less on my butt I guess.. lol...
I've seen pictures! You ain't got no ass. :D

This is the first bike I have had with a windscreen and I think that helps a bunch (I am not as tough as scotinexile...
He's not as tough as he thinks he is.

The stock Classic or Tourer or perhaps even the Touring seat are not a "cruiser" seat for medium or heavier weight Captains. The issue needs to be raised. Of course the next upgrade will cost more :mad:

sheepskin on my first Iron butt, did it on my Sprint ST

second one was on a big tourign bike yam venture... was almost too easy...

just ride, be as comfortable as possible, bike shorts can help, takign a motrin at teh start can help...drinking tons of water ( camelbak)

stretching when you stop... and not stoping unless you have to ( gas etc, then makign the most of it,stretch and get your stuff done, but paying attention and havign everything at hand so there is no need to pull over to change anything...

( sunglasses etc tank bag)

Back