The best $10.95 you'll ever spend on performance.

Power-Tripp

Turbocharged
Ladies and Gents,
You may have noticed that when you grab a fist full of throttle on your Rocket you need to reach way over the throttle grip to easily get to wide open throttle. There is an easy and inexpensive way to give your throttle grip less movement range and open more quickly.

Under the grip is a plastic throttle tube. On the end of the tube is a cam where the throttle cables connect. The diameter of this cam determines the throw of the throttle - how much grip rotation is required to open the throttle a given amount. The larger this cam is, the faster the throttle opens.

A quick action throttle tube is commonly used on performance and race bikes of all types and sizes. Guess what, they work great on the Rockets too.

Motion Pro part number 01-0094 is a short throw throttle tube that retails for USD $10.95, and is roughly 20% faster than the stock throttle tube. This is about the same as the tube found on the Triumph Speed Triple. It makes the Rocket respond and accelerate more quickly, and IMHO, more fun to ride... unless you ride like my grandmother. :cool:

Installing a throttle tube generally takes a maximum of 10 minutes. And this is a great time to replace the grips as well. My favorite grips are the ProGrip Superbike 699. Don't use grip glue, use safety wire to hold in place in the grooves in each end of the grips. Compressed air makes removing and installing grips easy.

I hope this helps,

-Wayne

Attachments

• 311bRUwzBpL._SX385_.jpg
    311bRUwzBpL._SX385_.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 140
Ladies and Gents,
You may have noticed that when you grab a fist full of throttle on your Rocket you need to reach way over the throttle grip to easily get to wide open throttle. There is an easy and inexpensive way to give your throttle grip less movement range and open more quickly.

Under the grip is a plastic throttle tube. On the end of the tube is a cam where the throttle cables connect. The diameter of this cam determines the throw of the throttle - how much grip rotation is required to open the throttle a given amount. The larger this cam is, the faster the throttle opens.

A quick action throttle tube is commonly used on performance and race bikes of all types and sizes. Guess what, they work great on the Rockets too.

Motion Pro part number 01-0094 is a short throw throttle tube that retails for USD $10.95, and is roughly 20% faster than the stock throttle tube. This is about the same as the tube found on the Triumph Speed Triple. It makes the Rocket respond and accelerate more quickly, and IMHO, more fun to ride... unless you ride like my grandmother. :cool:

Installing a throttle tube generally takes a maximum of 10 minutes. And this is a great time to replace the grips as well. My favorite grips are the ProGrip Superbike 699. Don't use grip glue, use safety wire to hold in place in the grooves in each end of the grips. Compressed air makes removing and installing grips easy.

I hope this helps,

-Wayne

This has bothered me from day 1 and I was going to post abt it....
You beat me to it, Thanks!

Any special tools needed or anything?

One area of possible concern is if TOO responsive to throttle the bike becomes overly twitchy and NOT fun to ride.
Do you have this installed already?

I do believe that you will like it, as the R3 engine is not particularly quick to rev. Both of my R3s have had this tube or one like it, along with nearly every bike I have owned for decades. Usually the first change I make.

This is an easy install.

1 - Loosen cable adjusters. Remove throttle grip if this will go on new tube.
2 - Remove two Phillips head screws from right control box, and remove box from around throttle tube.
3 - Make note of which cable is connected to which side of stock throttle tube (Push and pull). Then remove cables from throttle tube.
4 - Remove throttle tube and replace with new tube.
5 - Connect cables to throttle tube.
6 - Place control box back around throttle tube and install screws.
7 - Replace grip and adjust slack from cables.

If you did not finish in less than 15 minutes, consider yourself mechanically challenged.

8 - Ride like they just banned motorcycles on public motor-ways. :eek:

G'day and thanks for the tip. Will a Speed Triple throttle grip fit do you know ? Oh and while you're here .. rumour has it you are working on a new exhaust system .. care to shine some light on that if that's possible :rolleyes: thank`

G'day and thanks for the tip. Will a Speed Triple throttle grip fit do you know ? Oh and while you're here .. rumour has it you are working on a new exhaust system .. care to shine some light on that if that's possible :rolleyes: thank`
I doubt it - A speed triple has 7/8" bars for a starter. Unless, like me, you have modified bars and run a 7/8"-1" bearing sleeve inside the grip.

imo one of the biggest issue with the Triumph throttle and original bars is that total lack of support for the throttle tube - especially at the outer extreme (it's where the heated grip wiring goes). When I made my Z bars I altered my throttle tube to run on sleeve bearings at both ends. I actually have a 7/8 tube where the throttle tube sits. No twist, snatch anything.

Do I do the Wayne mod? - mmmm - I have more bearings. Came in a bag of 10.

Fast throttles have a disadvantage though ime - Wait untill you need to do LONG distances at a constant speed. Your wrist can get very sore. - Palm rest a must.

OK, I screwed up. This part number is the one we use on 7/8 bars - like on my R3.

Let me finish up the bike on the dyno and I will show you how to modify the stock throttle tube for the same results.

OK, I screwed up. This part number is the one we use on 7/8 bars - like on my R3.

Let me finish up the bike on the dyno and I will show you how to modify the stock throttle tube for the same results.

So this throttle tube( Motion Pro part number 01-0094 )will not work?

I just got done ordering it.

I found a quick and easy solution to the sloppy throttle tube issue. Buy a two liter plastic soda bottle with straight sides. Drink or dump the soda. Take a scissors and cut a section of the straight walled section about 3-1/2" wide and about as long as your throttle tube but not longer (better 1/4" or so short rather than long). Remove the end cap from the handle bar and wrap the plastic around the handle bar inside of the throttle tube and mark where it overlaps. (Insert just a little bit into the throttle tube to do this). Cut the plastic lengthwise so that there will be an 1/8" gap between the ends when wrapped around the handlebar and inside the throttle tube. Spray the plastic with chain wax (dry chain lube) on the side to go around the handle bar and slide the plastic into place inside the throttle tube. This may require a little jiggling and rotation of the throttle. Do not kink the plastic installing it as this will permanently distort the plastic and make it un-useable. Once fully inside the plastic sleeve acts as a bearing and takes up the extra gap. Operate the throttle full range several times to verify that it does not stick in any position. Mine had two spots in the rotation where I could feel a little drag. Re-install the end cap.

This plastic is harder than the throttle tube, wears well, and with a little lube will last the life of the bike. The drag disapppeared after a one hour long ride. No more slop, smooth as silk operation, and no more sticking from how the throttle was held. Enjoy, and all for 10 minutes work and 99 cents.

Back