That Click "Paint can Rattle" sound.

ROCKETOUR

.060 Over
Ride
2008 R3T with lots of changes
For some reason, I can't hear anything on the sound file. Can somebody who has this sound recorded
please reload a sound file of the clutch failing? I have a rattle, but I keep thinking it's coming from the right side, but can't seem to isolate it. Also, when does the rattle occur? At all times? On the gas? When you roll off the gas? Specifically when does it happen? I have an R3T with the windshield and I think it's coming from the mount mechanism.
But sound "moves" around a bit when you have a windshield. Are there any other symptoms that coincide with this noise. What should I look for?

Paint can rattle: Get an aerosol with a ball in it & shake.. that's what it sounds like. If it's gonna strike, it's Always worst when the bike is fired up from cold, & often isn't there when the engine has warmed. Usually appears around the 2krevs, slowly roll up to 3k & release throttle. If you hear nothing alarming, you're ok:D
If your shield might be rattling, take it off & test for no noise. ( No noise off/some noise on=shield blah blah)

For some reason, I can't hear anything on the sound file. Can somebody who has this sound recorded
please reload a sound file of the clutch failing? I have a rattle, but I keep thinking it's coming from the right side, but can't seem to isolate it. Also, when does the rattle occur? At all times? On the gas? When you roll off the gas? Specifically when does it happen? I have an R3T with the windshield and I think it's coming from the mount mechanism.
But sound "moves" around a bit when you have a windshield. Are there any other symptoms that coincide with this noise. What should I look for?

Here is the original sound file...

Hey, Thanks Mitch. That time I could hear the file. Thankfully, that's not anything like what I'm hearing. Thank God!
I've had several problems with this 3 1/2 month old R3T. It doesn't appear to be a very well made bike in general, which
is a real shame. Because it could have been made a whole lot more soudly that what Triumph made it. But thanks again,
for such a fast response. I'll sleep easier tonight knowing I made it through a day without something else going wrong with it!

tikka tikka tikka in the background.. I get it too, not too bad, usually cold start & I get it in first gear only... I like blastedbones description as well, "clicky clickity"...
didnt do it at first, I've had the bike 2.5 years & have 25k miles. We are told by dealerships its no big deal, so I dont sweat it.
Mitch-by the way, loved that audio file...the sound of firing her up, makes my heart flutter.. too hot to ride this week 112 F.. cant take the burns on the inside of my thighs....sigh--- soon ..

its out of warranty (its an 07) but its real slight, have had it looked at...not sure there is even a fix for it.. my husbands Rocket has it too.....Blasted-what is it that causes it?

Warranty or not, it's still warranty. Mine was out of warranty and they (Triumph) still covered it in total, but then I dealt with Baxter's. Your experience or disdain is entirely predicated on how good (or bad) your dealer is.

The tickety tick is a combination of the timing chain slapping the slipper guides and the lower sprocket (crank end PTO) wiggling on the key seat. The front oil pump drive chain can make noise sometimes as well. It's behind the clutch pack on the left side. The warranty upgrade is new chain guides (slippers) a new PTO sprocket, shcs and key.

I could stand next to my bike and rev it cold and hear it rattle between 2500 and 3000 rpm. Only cold. Reminded me of billiard balls hitting each other on a break shot.

Don't know if bikes in the European theater are warranted the same as bikes here. Warranty laws like the Magnuson Act prohibit OEM's from denying any claim due to mechanical failure because of an internal part, whether the warranty is in effect or not.

I'd have said gremlins!!!:shock: the little bastards:pullhairout: All I know is that it's an engine stripdown job:roll:.
Flips answer is probably more helpful :mrgreen::thumbsup:

Back