Thankful for trash on by the highway!

TxRIIIRider

Living Legend
Today I am thankful for trash and car parts on the side of the highway. I was heading down I-37 to meet up with the family after work, when suddenly my throttle cable snapped. I was able to coast across 3 lanes to the next exit ramp. Well, the throttle cable was fine, it was my throttle sleeve that was wore out. After sorting through different wood bits, strong weeds, and plastic, I was able to carve a piece of plastic hub cap to fit in beside the cable and was back on the road in about 30 mins. My repair should last long enough for me to get new grips... :) Many thanks to my friend Rick for being there if I needed him and 2 bikers who stopped to offer assistance...

My dad worked for the county for years mowing grass on the side of the roads. There's some good stuff out there if you look. The downside is, my Dad brought most of it home. I told my sister she can have my half of the inheritance when Dad goes home, but she said I wasn't getting out of the clean up that easy.... :rolleyes:

Today I am thankful for trash and car parts on the side of the highway. I was heading down I-37 to meet up with the family after work, when suddenly my throttle cable snapped. I was able to coast across 3 lanes to the next exit ramp. Well, the throttle cable was fine, it was my throttle sleeve that was wore out. After sorting through different wood bits, strong weeds, and plastic, I was able to carve a piece of plastic hub cap to fit in beside the cable and was back on the road in about 30 mins. My repair should last long enough for me to get new grips... :) Many thanks to my friend Rick for being there if I needed him and 2 bikers who stopped to offer assistance...

Go Macgyver
images

TX thats a great story. I love the fact that so many members hear always work out ways of keepin on going....must be a rocket thing.

I'd say well done on the aussie ingenuity but....hmm...well, well done.

Heartwarming. When I broke a throttle cable it was actually the cable :(. Was able to idle the bike about 15km home though. I once whittled a stick to replace the cam follower in a set of points in a car. Worked fine.

Worst case, I was going to see if I could move the "push" cable to the pull side. I guess I could have idled home.. but that would have been 25 miles of idling.. lol My buddy Rick was on stand-by with his trailer though, so all would have worked out. I am very glad I had my Leatherman and the cable was still good!.. :)

Back