Test Rode a Ducati Multistrada Enduro and KTM 1290 SA

Robm422

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket iii roadster
I'm looking for a second bike, could never sell my r3r!!!
I really like the new adventure bikes, so went down and test rode the ducati and ktm, back to back. I must say they are both really nice, well thought out bikes. Both of their suspensions are way way better than the rocket. No spine jarring bumps, they both absorb the bumps so much better. They are both super fast, handle almost like a sport bike and are very comfortable for long distance. If I had to pick one of them, I would go with the multistrada endure though, it is so comfortable and the ergonomics fit me perfectly. I could easily see doing a cross country ride on that thing in perfect comfort. It is a bit tall though, I could only touch with my tippy toes, so that takes a bit of getting used to. It does get moved around by the wind more than the rocket though, being much taller and 300 lbs. lighter, and nothing accelerates from 0-60 the way the rocket does. It just feels like a frigging juggernaut, while these bikes are much faster on the top end.
anyways, just thought I'd post my thoughts on them.

Take a look at the Kawasaki Versys and the Triumph Tiger 1050. Both very nice adventure bikes. I beleive Cycle World had a good video review on Youtube for a few of the adventure bikes but I dont think the Ducati was on it,

I am biased, A buddy decided on an adventure bike and enlisted my spare time to scour the net for anything while he rode all the adv bikes he could. A larger percentage of duc owners claim the best bike they never got to ride, bmw, too buzzy, KTM too tall, he ended up buying the 800 tiger and parks it next to his r1200rt.

I am biased, A buddy decided on an adventure bike and enlisted my spare time to scour the net for anything while he rode all the adv bikes he could. A larger percentage of duc owners claim the best bike they never got to ride, bmw, too buzzy, KTM too tall, he ended up buying the 800 tiger and parks it next to his r1200rt.

That's interesting. Having owned several BMW twins I never found them to be buzzy. Of course that was a few iterations back, things may have changed.

The S1000 xr is the one I was referring to but I don't think he tried it already having a bmw in the shed and I was only posting general comments about the bikes

The S1000 xr is the one I was referring to but I don't think he tried it already having a bmw in the shed and I was only posting general comments about the bikes

Ah yes, the inline four. I owned a K1200RS as well and yup, BMWs fours can get a bit buzzy.

Triumph has 1000 watt alternators in that 1215 engine otherwise it's numbers are nearly identical to the 1050 making it look like they have decided for us how much power we need, whatever, I do know when me and another triumph guy were demoing the trophy he ended up buying the explorer instead because the seating was less cramped.

The new Explorer is awesome. Don't know how anyone could say the engine lacks anything. Add Optimused Cornering ABS, adaptive suspension ie adapts instantly and automatically to the terrain/road conditions, riding modes that adjust ABS, traction control and suspension settings, hill hold braking, electric screen, WP suspension, Brembo brakes, the list goes on. Heated seats if you want. The screen is absolutely silent - never thought I'd give the thumbs up to one of those nancy-boy things.

Maybe some bikes will do some things better but there's nothing out there that does everything as well - except maybe the Tiger 800 that only falls fractionally behind the 1200 as a long distance, 2 up tourer and is probably better at everything else.

I might be a tiny bit biased ;) but I can assure you they're well worth a good hard look.

Believe me, I'm a triumph fan, and I would love to go with another one, so I will be giving it a close look. I've actually been to a couple of shops and no one has the 2016 yet, all I've found were left over 2015's.
I do wish they would have gone with the 8 gallon fuel tank like the bmw gsa, ktm 1290 sa, and ducati enduro have.

Back