For my edification, what is a "rubber mount Harley" ?
From 1993 to 2008, HD used rubber engine mounts on its touring models so that less engine vibration would be transmitted to the rider. This website explains the problem with HD's mount setup:

"With the release of the rubber mounted engines for the touring models, Harley Davidson has attempted to isolate the engine vibrations to help produce a comfortable highway touring machine that we all ride and love. In the design of the rubber mounted system, Harley Davidson has mounted the front and rear engine to rubber isolating mounting points that effectively isolate the engine from the chassis. Now because of the chassis dimensions and engine size, the front mount is mounted on a chassis cross member while the rear is mounted directly on the horizontal cross member of the the rear swing arm. There lies the inherent weakness in the chassis design.

Now in order to stabilize the engine vibrations and movement within the chassis, Harley Davidson has added Heim joints to the engine. One at the top of the engine to frame and one in the lower front and frame. This basically prevents any lateral engine movements within the frame at the front and top of the engine. Unfortunately this also amplifies the lateral forces at the rear of the engine on the horizontal cross member of the rear swing arm.

The rear swing arm is mounted to the frame through a horizontal pivot shaft which in itself is rubber mounted to the frame to reduce rear wheel vibration from being transmitted to the main frame which the driver sits on. This isolation should produce a very smooth ride with minimal vibrations being transmitted from the rear wheel and engine assembly.

Unfortunately the rear of the engine which is mounted through the rubber mount system on the rear horizontal swing arm cross member,also transmits all the unwanted lateral force produced to the rear swing arm. During sweepers and hard accelerations, the gyroscopic effects of the engine are transmitted laterally to the rear swing arm and thus causes unwanted left to right flex in the rubber mounted horizontal swing arm pivot shaft. This is the cause of the dreaded wobble that we all feel. This gives the rider a very uneasy feeling of instability. The lateral flex within the swing arm pivot shaft distorts the front to rear wheel alignment and thus the wobble."​

Source: Product: V-Track - Chassis Wobble Eliminator

There ya go, what he said! And I own 2 rubber mount harleys. "IF" they were as fast as a Rocket, there would have been a whole lot more of these incidents. Lucky for harley riders, they don't go very fast. As can be seen in that video, he wasn't hauling ass, just going down the road, then "going down the road":(

Holy Shyt..that had to hurt. That happened to me at 80 MPH on the RKC i let up on the throttle and by the grace of God avoided what happen the this poor rider. My rear spokes were all screwed up lose as a goose.. I ended up putting a solid ten spoke on the back and changed out the front with "Fat Daddy Spokes"...to keep the classic look . The rear tire isn't that noticeable.

Attachments

• $T2eC16hHJIYE9qUcQYnSBRziN0dKWw~~60_35.JPG
    $T2eC16hHJIYE9qUcQYnSBRziN0dKWw~~60_35.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back