Tank Range: Odometer vs FuelBot2.0 : Experience/comment

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
OK - so lets start by saying I normally do not use the R3 for commuting. I have a lot of heavy and sensitive gear that I sometimes (without notice) have to carry. I also discovered very early on that the wheelbase is simply too long to take the narrow twisty roads well. But my car is being repaired so needs must ;)

My usual riding is FASTISH (120-140kph) CONSTANT SPEED. I can pretty much guaranty 220-230kms before reserve light. When @DEcosse introduced us the the Fuelbot - I bought one. Generally consumption is in the 7.5 - 7.8L/100kms.

The last tankful has been used exclusively to commute - 30kms each way - almost zero traffic seldom above 100kmh. Hit the reserve at 180kms and just short of 9L/100kms. That is approx 17% increase in consumption. I was surprised. I expected a difference but maybe 8.5L/100.

It's not to question anything - simply to point out the value of a decent fuel gauge when on "unknown" territory. Had I been somewhere unknown and banking on 220km range - hitting reserve at 180 not knowing where fuel is would be a concern.

A "comforting" plus from the 'bot - at reserve it says 25% of tank available. But that Distance To Empty display - :)

For inquiring minds - I run Hans V1 PCV AFR targets in 1st and 5th and V2 in 2nd,3rd and 4th. The ECU has a lightly adjusted (F/L switch and secondary flutterbies) TORS tune in. And yes - part of the equation IS because on the backroads I seldom get into 5th.

Next week I'll use the Guzzi - It's better suited. :eek::ninja:

I find the distance to empty on my roadster is allot less the the fuel bot. although he R3 has a 23lt tank capacity the usable amount seems to be less (Dont really know as I have never run out before) @ozrider filled up once after nearly running ot and it certainly did not take 23lts. If I ride relatively normally i will get 300klms from a tank even with my hp mods.

You just need to calibrate the Fuelbot correctly - If you can only get 22L into the tank - tell it you have a 22L tank - stuff what Triumph says.

I can take a look - I don't remember what I spec'd as tank size. I know I deliberately told the FB the tank was a bit smaller than it should be.

I fill when the light comes on - or at the beginning of a known longer trip. If at light, usually 230kms done (both ODO and Fuelbot) - 70 DTE. So 300kms total.
But my point was that if forced to take an unknown route (therefore NOT normal riding) - then the FB is really ruddy useful.

On my recent 3600km trip to Adelaide and back via Broken Hill - I thought I was stretching it a little on the home stretch from Narromine 11.10 AM to Boorowa 02.05 PM about 300 Km with a few small detours en-route, 21.74 litres with mainly country backroads and about 15+ town Km in between. Average 7.25 litres/100Km. I thought my '10 R3R tank was bigger than 22 litres.:(:unsure:
Mainly 110-130 Kmh, I only gassed it a few times but suppose the 200kg+ load may have had an effect.;):roll:

Factory spec is 24 litre tank and fuel consumption in UK Imperial gallons from Triumph UK site
Rocket III Roadster | Triumph Motorcycles

Constant Speed 56mph 90kph 53.7 MPG
Constant Speed 75mph 120kph 43.1 MPG
With all the mods we do, I reckon few actually get that mileage....I am happy to 36 on an extended cruise! 33 nutting around town...which isn't actually bad.

With all the mods we do, I reckon few actually get that mileage....I am happy to 36 on an extended cruise! 33 nutting around town...which isn't actually bad.

So you should be - spot on!

Constant Speed 56mph 90kph 44.7 US MPG
Constant Speed 75mph 120kph 35.9 US MPG

My experience - Sustained speed makes a HUGE difference. It is due partially to WIND RESISTANCE and turbulence - big screen, hard bags and BIG top case - it'll start to guzzle if you go fast.

Up to about 90kph/56mph the consumption seems to vary little even if one is being spirited (unless you are doing Marquez impressions in bends and power drifting everywhere). But cruise at an average 140kph vs 120kph and the consumption soars - 15-20% more. Log TPS and you'll see when drag cuts in - TPS goes up disproportionately. But I like cruising at 90mph :banghead:

Those of you who are more "filled out" sat behind screens might actually reduce turbulence. Bikes ALL have terrible Cd values compared to most modern cars.

Highway consistently 6.4l/100km, 37USmpg, 44IMPmpg.

Stock intake, unknown tune (jusr like the sound), shorty straight through drop exhaust - no cat or mufflers.

Back