Tank badges coming off? Any solutions?

Comotion

.020 Over
Ride
2011 Rocket 3 Touring
The tank badges are starting to pull away from the tank on my 2011 R3T. They are pulling away on the back end of the badge, closest to the seat. Any ideas out there on getting them to stick?

Between this, the dead fuel gauge, and some other small issues, I'm starting to think the R3T is the equivalent of a Dodge Ram diesel (great engine, learn to live with the rest of it).

I placed a long piece of a 2x6 board against my emblem over night to hold it tight to the tank to reapply the adhesive. Hasn't come loose since.

3M sells an automotive adhesive that is equal to the assembly line goop. Any auto store with a decent supply of body working goods would have some.

I placed a long piece of a 2x6 board against my emblem over night to hold it tight to the tank to reapply the adhesive. Hasn't come loose since.
I'm trying to imagine how you used the board to apply pressure to the badge. Was the tank still on the bike?

Put bike near wall or post, position board between bike and wall, driving the bike end of board against badge. Might have to wiggle bike back and forth so you get it just the right distance to actually get some pressure out of positioning the board.

East Tex is correct. Best practice would be to remove the emblems / badges gently. Use some General Purpose adhesive remover with some fishing line. Allow the cleaner to get behind the badge and soften the tape. Use the line like floss, starting at the top and going back and forth behind the badge. This is a clean and fast way to remove the badge. Thoroughly clean the substrate / tank/ side cover whatever and thoroughly remove the tape from the emblems / badges. Reapply with 3M (Automotive grade) double sided tape. You can get this at Auto Zone, Advanced, Pep Boys your local auto parts store.

Back