laraza

Turbocharged
Ride
09 R3 Classic
Hoping someone can help.

Tail light has stopped working, brake lights ok, checked fuse, which had blown, replaced and nothing.

Cleaned bulb holder (it was clean and not corroded) but still not working.....any ideas?

Plug for rear light is under the righthad scoop ( rear brake lever side ) .....from memory (which is poor) it is a black plug with 3 wires blue/red/white .... might need a clean

Plug for rear light is under the righthad scoop ( rear brake lever side ) .....from memory (which is poor) it is a black plug with 3 wires blue/red/white .... might need a clean

And make sure your rear tyre hasn't rubbed against the wires

No visible rubbing on wire :(

Checked the plug Alan, the loom side of the plug seems dead when I put a voltmeter across it, I've got LED's fitted, could it be something to do with not having a pilot light? seems odd as I fitted the LED's a while back.

Absolutely!...if you have installed LED headlights and have removed the park light bulb then there is your problem. The park light bulb is a "spade'' type push in bulb, when it is removed it allows the contacts to touch one another and it pops the fuse which includes the rear tail light. I have had this problem so its how i know!...You can put the bulb back in the holders and tuck it all behind the headlight or cut the holders away,tape up the wires so there is no possibility of shorts and put it all back together...problem fixed.

Last edited:
No...Sorry, i meant the headlights. When the factory head light is replaced with a LED headlight, there is nowhere for the park light bulb to be fitted. Most folks would pull the bulbs out and tuck the wires in behind to keep them out of the way. As the fitting is a "spade" type ..... 481770130.jpg ... this is what allows the contacts to touch. It only needs the earth and live to touch and"pop"...the fuse is gone and so has your tail light as they run off the same fuse.

Nice to know Tal - Installed LED headlights and have just taped up park light holder and stuffed behind new unit. Might just take out and properly isolate the connections before it pops the fuse.

Absolutely!...if you have installed LED headlights and have removed the park light bulb then there is your problem. The park light bulb is a "spade'' type push in bulb, when it is removed it allows the contacts to touch one another and it pops the fuse which includes the rear tail light. I have had this problem so its how i know!...You can put the bulb back in the holders and tuck it all behind the headlight or cut the holders away,tape up the wires so there is no possibility of shorts and put it all back together...problem fixed.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Will look at it tomorrow........was going bonkers looking for an answer

Back