Swing arm blanking plate - what is under it ?

chrisw

Bluebird
Ride
Rocket 3 Classic Tourer 2007
HI
Was wondering if anyone has a pic of the swing arm without the blanking plate. Its held by rivets with one rivet in the middle. Was wondering if it is free space that could be used to route air pipes for a turbo

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 2
Well, I don't have a pic but I can tell you I've drilled through mine and ran a bolt through the middle to mount an air horn to it. It was free space where I drilled the hole. I can't imagine there's anything else in there other than free space.

I've considered that plate in the past, and its purpose.

To me, the plate existing only makes sense if they were trying to stiffen it perpendicular to the axis of suspension movement, or I'd they're trying to hide ugly welds.

Swing arm design is a black art that finds the right balance of flex vs rigidity along four different axis. It's one of the pieces that are critical in defining how a bike feels.

Personally I'd think twice before doing anything to it.

Thanks everyone. Especially Paul for going to the trouble of looking ;) u probably save me a lot of heartache.
I'll leave it alone.
I did notice when looking at longer shocks to raise the height, that the distance between cat and swinger gets very tight. Also noted the heat shield on cat box, maybe this is more padding or heat protection

Thanks again, Really glad I joined this group :)

Now why did Triumph feel the need to add a piece of rubber sandwiched between the swing arm and a steel plate attached with rivets???? Some kind of harmonic sound suppressor??

If so, what kind of noise would have been generated that they want to get rid off?

Back