DanG R3T

.020 Over
As previously established on a prior thread, I am the proud owner of a completely stock 2008 R3T and don't like to complain about "Big Baby", she is who she is and sometimes you just have to learn to adapt if you are going to ride something different than everyone else.....anyway, that big lump of a motor makes a BUNCH of heat (especially behind the windshield) which is nice on 50 degree days and torture when you get above 80 degrees.

I know I can remove the windshield, but the headlight looks strange when you do. Has anyone purchase the small boulevard windshield trim from Triumph? If so, how does it look and perform?

I welcome any and all ideas on this one.......how do you Florida and Texas fellas deal with this issue?

Above 80?? That's called winter here.

Out riding last Saturday it was 107. This time of year we typically hit 110-115. Its only in the 90's this weekend, a real unusual cold snap. I'll probably need to add a sweatshirt under my jacket.

If you don't want to remove the windshield, which in my opinion looks just fine, remove the lowers. That will give you a bit more airflow. You're sitting on top of a 140 cubic inch motor. It gives off a lot of heat.

+1 on that. 140 cubic inches equates to heat, no matter what you do. In as much as an internal combustion engine gives up it's inefficiency in heat and your engine is inefficient, it will get warm. Trick is to keep moving and don't stop.:D

Now a bicycle gives off no heat except your sweat.

Oddly enough, I never thought my R3T put out all that much heat. I test rode a FJR a month or so ago. Now, that thing put out some heat!

Daryl makes a good point. Of the water cooled bikes I've ridden the R3T actually is the most comfortable in terms of heat management. Without a full fairing holding it in she manages to shed the heat pretty well.

As Flip said, the key is to keep moving. Sitting at a dead stop on black asphalt in 110 degree heat and having that fan come on and send that 200+ degree heat wafting up into your face can get a bit uncomfortable.

In a Philly traffic-jam, rather than die of heat stroke I find a nice overpass and pull over to relax. It's just not worth the 1/2 hour savings for me to arrive at my destination covered in sweat wanting to die. LOL
Sometimes it starts a chain reaction and turns into a small roadside bike gathering. :D

Thanks for the insight....I thought the bike was just a 750 v-twin, my mistake :rolleyes:.....I could just get my sweat glands removed so I dont look like I just finished working out at the gym when we stop to get an ice cream cone....

Keeping on the move is always preferred, however, I seem to be surrounded by road construction this summer.....This is the first bike I have had that has a windshield and that is probably the main issue....the windshield is nice for touring long distances and is really nice on cold mornings (35-50 degrees). Probably just need to lose the windshield for commuting and on hotter days (relatively speaking of course).

In a Philly traffic-jam, rather than die of heat stroke I find a nice overpass and pull over to relax. It's just not worth the 1/2 hour savings for me to arrive at my destination covered in sweat wanting to die. LOL
Sometimes it starts a chain reaction and turns into a small roadside bike gathering. :D

Now there's a thought!

2300cc of pure tractor engine yes the SOB produces some heat, I ride without a windshield and let the sweat run down my legs and overflow over my boots.:D

*Lights smoke*

Tell me more... :)

Scot in Exile knows how some of our traffic is in the afternoons. There's one LONG turning lane I have to sit in. If I have the misfortune of hitting it just as it turns red, I'll shut my Tiger off. The Tiger isn't bad as it doesn't have a full fairing, but it throws enough heat off to let you know it doesn't appreciate baking on the tarmac, so to speak. ;)

Back