I am after sugestions for suspension set up for 2021 GT
I'm a quite a heavy fella - 120kg and found suspension quite hard on my back.
So what are you suggestions?
Thanks
280lbs here... I am interested in this myself, I can agree the ride can be a little harsh at times

I just saw the below thread written by atomsplitter posted April 13, 2022 (post #4). Maybe this will help for heavy guys like us.

Your owners manual tells all. Sounds like you may be approaching rider+passenger. Get someone (or two) to confirm your rider sag and the amount of preload you need. The manual is saying it should be set to maximum (zero turns back from all the way up). You can make the damping softer but if you’re bottoming with maximum preload, you need a stiffer rear spring.

I just saw the below thread written by atomsplitter posted April 13, 2022 (post #4). Maybe this will help for heavy guys like us.

I resemble that remark. I tip the scales over 143 kilos (316 lbs) so suspension setup is ALWAYS job one when I aquire a new ride. When I bought my Bobber Black I was shocked and dismayed they did not see fit to provide a preload adjuster on the rear shock. Worse the travel was only 3.5 inches so bottoming out was not only frequent, it was painful. The ONLY cure was a new shock, so I opted for Ohlins since they would ship it with a spring rated for my load. The great thing about the Bobber is it's a solo ride, so no having to account for a passenger. After installation I set about setting the sag properly:

This where my preload adjuster ended up
1656423073187.jpeg

The forks were same as the OEM shock, no adjustemnt at all so I could have opted for the cheap route, buying new springs and adjustable preload caps but decided the best solution was a full on set of emulators. The only maker for the Triumph Bobber Black was Matris out of Italy so I bought their kit and after installation front end response was night and day better. Now the bike tracks true, absorbs bumps and ride quality is superb. One fork leg handles compression damping and the other rebound damping. The thumbwheels change the preload on the system. Triumph should have been putting these components on at the factory, but it would up the final cost of the bike a couple thousand. Believe me when I say my spine is worth the extra money.
1656423307123.jpeg

Same here, much happier now with the settings from Col & Zig
What is the difference? Because with front factory settings I am satisfied. In rear I left also factory settings but I changed preload to 9 clicks from top. I will test it today.

I'm pretty close to the same weight. Here's the adjustments I settled on.

AdjustmentWhereSolow/Passenger
Front CompressionRight Fork1.51.5
Front ReboundLeft Fork22
Rear ReboundRight side behind toolkit3.250.25
Rear CompressionRight side under seat20
Rear PreloadLeft side under seat8 clicks outFull clockwise
Each is turns counter-clockwise starting from fully clockwise, except for rear preload which is "clicks".

If you want to try fine tuning your own individual adjustments, here's some quick notes mostly distilled from watching Dave Moss videos:
  • Adjust preload for 30mm difference between static sag and rider sag
    • Clockwise adds preload for heavier load, which decreases rider sag
    • Counter-clockwise removes preload for lighter loads, which increases rider sag
  • Initially adjust compression damping to halfway on both front and rear
    • Put a ziptie on the front right fork and mark 20mm up as shown in the Col and Zig video
    • Note where the ziptie ends up after riding, it should not be at the 20mm mark. Push it back up after each ride.
    • Clockwise increases damping, stiffening the suspension
    • Counter-clockwise decreases damping, softening the suspension
  • Adjust rebound damping such that the bike returns from compression quickly but doesn't overshoot and rebound back down again after topping out
    • Clockwise increases damping, slowing rise, and decreasing rebound back down after topping out
    • Counter-clockwise decreases damping, quickening rise, and increases rebound back down after topping out
  • With everything adjusted, push down on the center of the bike. Both the front and rear should drop and rise together, and not overshoot on the rise.

As I wrote, I changed the pre-load on rear shock to 9 clicks from top. Hard to say, maybe small change to better. Day after I've found out that I have 2,6 bar pressure in tires. I've put there 2,9 bar following manual. Kicks to my back are much much stronger and also front is harder. In thread "OPTIMAL TIRE PRESSURE" people discussed also about suspension. I don't know, what to do. I think, that Triumph and Avon engineers have much much more experiences and knowledge, but surely also have different riding style, weight and figure.
So there are 3 options:
1, play with suspension
2, play with tire pressure
3, leave it on factory settings.
I think, the tire pressure should be as requested by producers, they know why. Maybe little less, but there is a question, how much is little and how much it helps. Suspension setup is a bit complicated, I don't understand it completely and have no experience. Factory settings are not comfortable but sometimes is better to adapt than to change.

Back