Gavin

.060 Over
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
Just came back from a 3100km trip through the Rockies, some in fairly wet conditions. Now my 05 R3 is surging at around 3000 rpm. No problems when I accelerate, just at cruising speed. Any suggestions as to cause/cure?

Just came back from a 3100km trip through the Rockies, some in fairly wet conditions. Now my 05 R3 is surging at around 3000 rpm. No problems when I accelerate, just at cruising speed. Any suggestions as to cause/cure?
Given that it occurs at steady speed and not on acceleration, I would first check the throttle position sensor. Seems like that's a fairly common failure point among earlier Rockets.

Given that it occurs at steady speed and not on acceleration, I would first check the throttle position sensor. Seems like that's a fairly common failure point among earlier Rockets.
Thanks for that, I will have a look at it this weekend

Specially if it is an original TPS. the improved ones had blue internals. Having said that I'm running the original on my '05 coming up on 90,000 kms. I wonder if a 12 min tune might help as it may need to reset after being up in the mountains

Last edited:
Sounds like the TPS to me, although it may just need adjusting. If you adjust it, and the problem goes away, and then the problem returns, you will need a new Primary TPS.

I had this problem at 4000rpm on my 2015 roadster (yep, only 2 months old at the time) and they said it was the TPS when the dealer eventually fixed it. Thankfully mine was done under warranty.

Specially if it is an original TPS. the improved ones had blue internals. Having said that I'm running the original on my '05 coming up on 90,000 kms. I wonder if a 12 min tune might help as it may need to reset after being up in the mountains
I will try the 12 minute tune up, thanks for the input

I had this problem at 4000rpm on my 2015 roadster (yep, only 2 months old at the time) and they said it was the TPS when the dealer eventually fixed it. Thankfully mine was done under warranty.
Good to hear that it's not that un-common

The 12 minute tune up seems to have made the problem go away. Just rode 72km to work, all highway, no surging. Thanks for the tip

Back