Surging @3000rpm

bebsy

Finicky
Ride
2006 Triumph R3
Evening all R3 has developed an unsettling surge in all gears at 3000rpm fine up to and beyond but not happy if you have to hang around there... any help appreciated

Evening all R3 has developed an unsettling surge in all gears at 3000rpm fine up to and beyond but not happy if you have to hang around there... any help appreciated

Make sure the low tension leads on the coils are tight. They tend to loosen over time. Re-crimp with pliers. The coil set for the front cylinder is difficult to get at, but not impossible.

Make sure the low tension leads on the coils are tight. They tend to loosen over time. Re-crimp with pliers. The coil set for the front cylinder is difficult to get at, but not impossible.
Forgive me but when you say low tension lead I know there are 3 earth live and ht lead

Forgive me but when you say low tension lead I know there are 3 earth live and ht lead

The two low voltage (low tension) wires. They plug onto the coils with spade connectors. The connectors loosen over time, and different RPM ranges (likely different vibration ranges) causes them to make poor connection. Unplug and re-crimp so they push on kinda hard. Putting dielectric grease on them helps keep them from corroding.

The two low voltage (low tension) wires. They plug onto the coils with spade connectors. The connectors loosen over time, and different RPM ranges (likely different vibration ranges) causes them to make poor connection. Unplug and re-crimp so they push on kinda hard. Putting dielectric grease on them helps keep them from corroding.
Cheers for that I will have a look tmrw I'm tired of been thrown around

I had a similar issue. I would think you would want to start with Rocket Scientist's suggestion since there is no money (only time) involved. I ended up using Tune ECU to adjust the Primary Throttle Position Sensor (as mentioned by Fingers) and that resolved the problem for a couple of thousand miles. It returned, and I replaced the TPS and all is good now. Hope that helps.

low tension leads.jpg

Number two coil showing the two low tendion leads that the female spade connectors get loose and sloppy as stated by the scientist above. You can trust his judgement:)

Back